Water Change Ammonia Spike?

1. A

A.D.D. Valued Member Member

newly cycled tank and I just did a <20% water change, mostly to get the leaves from some plants anacharis(?) out, and the water was already about 5% down.

Did change and added Prime, then Flourish for the plants (it was just time for that, so why not?) about two hours ago. Just checked, and now ammonia is at about .5 ppm, nitrite is 0, nitrate is maybe 2 (looks a little more orange than yellow)

Does this sound normal? About to double the dose of Prime.

2. Connor_

Connor_ Valued Member Member

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    A

Master. Sorry.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have ammonia in your water source? No need to double dose on Prime as it detoxifies up to 1ppm ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hours. One dose for the full tank volume should be enough.

5. OP
    OP
    A

just checked the water here. It's coming up the same. So tap here is .5ppm ammonia. That should be ok since I treated with Prime, and it will burn out of the water naturally then, correct? It's late, and I'm trying to learn this all over again.

Was going to be kind of agrivated if there was something wrong.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Tap water with ammonia isn't a problem if you have a cycled tank! The filter will process it :)

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, Prime will detoxify it for 24-48 hours which will give your bacteria enough time to process that amount on its own. If you are still seeing ammonia the next day or so, you may not be fully cycled.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Seems okay this morning. I guess it was just the tapwater reading that made it go up.
    Thanks for the help

Advertisement