Question Water Change: %30 Every 5 Days VS %50 Once a Week

Thimsel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Everyone,

I would like to kindly ask your opinion about these two water change routines. Normally, I was doing weekly %50 water changes but the tap water gets colder and colder everyday and I realized that aquarium water temperature drops to 18-19 degrees from 23 degrees suddenly after %50 water change. To overcome this issue, I started to do %30 water changes every 5 days which drops the aquarium water temperature only to 21. I thought this could be better for the fish.

What do you think if? Is this is a good idea or not in terms of maintaining the water quality? Thank you in advance.

P.S: 57 Liters 60x36x30 aquarium (cycled) with Dennerle Scaper's Soil (8L) + JBL AquaBasis 2.5 Substrate + Plenty of Java Moss + Water Sprite + 2 Moss balls + 12 Ember Tetra + 3 Nerite Snails + 6 Otocinclus

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
if your temps are dropping then you arent matching temps on refill. My suggestion would be to get a heater and heat the water until you match the tank temp. Its irrelevant how much you change...this should be your method for every water change

Thimsel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for your kind reply. I see but I do not have any space to store buckets so that I refill the water directly from tap with a standard hose. This is why the temps do not match.

I could add warmer water directly from the tap which comes from the electric boiler's tank but I am not sure about the inner conditions of the tank and the water quality in the end.

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sorry. I do not mean to be rude but a bucket from home depot or lowes takes up very little space. I'd say its a 1ft by 1ft max area. Even in the most confined spaces, this would be adequate for a single bucket. If you do not have this 1' by 1' space...then I would suggest allowing the outflow of watever you are filling buckets with to semi match ur tank. By this i mean putting your hand into the tank and then into the flow of new water until you feel it is similar. Smaller changes in temp are always better and while our body isnt the best at detecting that change its better then throwing gross differences of temperature in the tank

Thimsel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright then, I guess that is better than shocking the fish with high temperature difference. I wanted to avoid the buckets as it is easily disturbing the substrate and plants while pouring the water into the tank but if that is the only way, I will go for it then. I guess water pump can help in this case with a sponge in the outlet of the hose. Thanks for your replies :)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Everyone,

I would like to kindly ask your opinion about these two water change routines. Normally, I was doing weekly %50 water changes but the tap water gets colder and colder everyday and I realized that aquarium water temperature drops to 18-19 from 23 suddenly after %50 water change. To overcome this issue, I started to do %30 water changes everyday which drops the aquarium water temperature only to 21. I thought this could be better for the fish.

What do you think if? Is this is a good idea or not in terms of maintaining the water quality? Thank you in advance.

P.S: 57 Liters 60x36x30 aquarium (cycled) with Dennerle Scaper's Soil (8L) + JBL AquaBasis 2.5 Substrate + Plenty of Java Moss + Water Sprite + 2 Moss balls + 12 Ember Tetra + 3 Nerite Snails + 6 Otocinclus
That sounds like a fine solution. I live in the desert and my water comes out of the faucet in summer at 82°F so in the spring, I gradually increase the heater temp to 80° as the water supply warms. I do the reverse in the fall. I slowly reduce my tank temp to 76° for the winter. I have a large tank and no indoor faucets that adaptors fit on and 60 gallons of water in buckets is out of the question. Because water comes out of the faucet at about 66°F in winter, I trickle water into my 76° tank over about 2 hours with a Python hook attached to an outdoor hose. The tank temp typically drops only about 2°- 4°F over those 2 hours and so far, in 20 years of doing it this way, I've not lost a fish because of temp changes.

Thimsel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds like a fine solution. I live in the desert and my water comes out of the faucet in summer at 82°F so in the spring, I gradually increase the heater temp to 80° as the water supply warms. I do the reverse in the fall. I slowly reduce my tank temp to 76° for the winter. I have a large tank and no indoor faucets that adaptors fit on and 60 gallons of water in buckets is out of the question. Because water comes out of the faucet at about 66°F in winter, I trickle water into my 76° tank over about 2 hours with a Python hook attached to an outdoor hose. The tank temp typically drops only about 2°- 4°F over those 2 hours and so far, in 20 years of doing it this way, I've not lost a fish because of temp changes.
Woww, that sounds great :) I think modifying the temperature accordingly prior to the water changes is a really good idea as well. I will definitely do this, thanks.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I heat the whole room I don't use tank heaters but what I do is fill a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for like 20 minutes then add it to the tank. But I use sponge filters so they are always under water not HOB filters it could kill the bacteria if you do it this way.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
a lot of ppl use a python that connects to the bathroom/kitchen faucet to match the temp of the tank.

if you're using the hose from the outside spigot, you can get a pot from your kitchen and fill it with hot water and SLOWLY pour in the hot water as you're adding cold water from the hose.

also a few degrees in temp difference isn't bad for most fish, as this happens in nature, like sudden thunderstorms that drop the temps a few degrees.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom