Water box entire set up vs acrylic

KribensisLover1

Hello! So I'm planning to get a new tank and make it a show tank. Right now I have two tanks--one is a glass 40 breeder and I really like the width, to the point that I would rather have a 50 gallon, than a 55. I would of course prefer 75 or 65. I also have a SeaClear acrylic flatback hex now and I ADORE it so my plan was to get acrylic again. I posted on here asking about stands etc etc. I haven't found many stands that I like (that aren't huge and very noticeable) until I found GORGEOUS glass stands (but for smaller tanks) OR a water box set up. I will attach link to the water Box. It's pricey--MUCH more so than acrylic, but the package I would get has a stand and lights. I was all set to buy an acrylic but I truly can't find a stand to fit into my space! SO I'm now considering this very pricey water box set up (in the future but not too far off). The problem is I haven't SEEN a water box and I love acrylic SO much and swore I would never do glass again. However, the water box is a glass tank, & seems to have amazing clarity. I just don't want to order this tank and then kick myself for not getting acrylic. Does anybody have experience with water box? I could get just the water box stand for an acrylic tank I buy separately but I love the idea of all pieces coming together and working perfectly together. I do know there are custom acrylics with stands but those I've found are thousands. Any suggestions or thoughts on water boxes? CLEAR
CLEAR

Sanderguy777

Hello! So I'm planning to get a new tank and make it a show tank. Right now I have two tanks--one is a glass 40 breeder and I really like the width, to the point that I would rather have a 50 gallon, than a 55. I would of course prefer 75 or 65. I also have a SeaClear acrylic flatback hex now and I ADORE it so my plan was to get acrylic again. I posted on here asking about stands etc etc. I haven't found many stands that I like (that aren't huge and very noticeable) until I found GORGEOUS glass stands (but for smaller tanks) OR a water box set up. I will attach link to the water Box. It's pricey--MUCH more so than acrylic, but the package I would get has a stand and lights. I was all set to buy an acrylic but I truly can't find a stand to fit into my space! SO I'm now considering this very pricey water box set up (in the future but not too far off). The problem is I haven't SEEN a water box and I love acrylic SO much and swore I would never do glass again. However, the water box is a glass tank, & seems to have amazing clarity. I just don't want to order this tank and then kick myself for not getting acrylic. Does anybody have experience with water box? I could get just the water box stand for an acrylic tank I buy separately but I love the idea of all pieces coming together and working perfectly together. I do know there are custom acrylics with stands but those I've found are thousands. Any suggestions or thoughts on water boxes? CLEAR
CLEAR
No personal experience, but I have seen a thread on here about one of the internal filter pumps that had to be replaced several times. I like the idea of them, but for the price, having a junk pump sounds like a pretty pathetic product in all honesty. Again, I don't have one, so maybe it is worth putting up with a pump for the rest of the setup.

Are you looking at the 2420 (33g), or 3620 (50g)?

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

Is it the big fat canopies that put you off? Stands can't really have a smaller footprint than the tank especially with acrylic.

I like the looks of these stands (they're getting popular amongst reefers) and completely customizable:

Aquarium Stands

They can make panels if you don't like the open frame look.

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Is it the big fat canopies that put you off? Stands can't really have a smaller footprint than the tank especially with acrylic.

I like the looks of these stands (they're getting popular amongst reefers) and completely customizable:

Aquarium Stands

They can make panels if you don't like the open frame look.
I have seen people build workbenches out of that stuff, never thought of it as a tank stand!

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

No personal experience, but I have seen a thread on here about one of the internal filter pumps that had to be replaced several times. I like the idea of them, but for the price, having a junk pump sounds like a pretty pathetic product in all honesty. Again, I don't have one, so maybe it is worth putting up with a pump for the rest of the setup.

Are you looking at the 2420 (33g), or 3620 (50g)?
I was thinking the largest (4820 maybe?) Bc I wanted the height to be over 18" for my angelfish. I mean the prices are so high I'm like well what's a little extra (Bc I can't get the 33 and put my current 40 breeder inhabitants in there). The lights are also SO much more money. So it's just tough to know if it's worth it or not at all. Ty for Your info about the pump is super helpful though Bc the entire set up should run super well for that much money. I'm curious about the clarity of high end glass tanks versus acrylic tanks.

AvalancheDave I really love those! They're awesome. I started looked at a lot of their frames and that's EXACTLY what I have in mind. I would love the minimalist look but I think I would have doors put in to hide the cords. Ty! And I like some canopies for sure, but I'm planning to put my tank in the living or dining room and so I want the tank to be the main draw and not an entire piece of furniture ya know? So a minimalist stand with a VERY clear tank (high end glass or acrylic). I still wouldn't Mind a canopy in the living room but there's not even close to enough space (I know that the canopy is the same size as the tank and table but it's a larger piece of furniture to me). That's also due to the fact that the canopies I see are wood and basically very nice furniture. Maybe a more clear canopy would work? It's really space not preference aesthetically (why I don't want a larger/taller set up).

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

I was thinking the largest (4820 maybe?) Bc I wanted the height to be over 18" for my angelfish. I mean the prices are so high I'm like well what's a little extra (Bc I can't get the 33 and put my current 40 breeder inhabitants in there). The lights are also SO much more money. So it's just tough to know if it's worth it or not at all. Ty for Your info about the pump is super helpful though Bc the entire set up should run super well for that much money. I'm curious about the clarity of high end glass tanks versus acrylic tanks.

AvalancheDave I really love those! They're awesome. I started looked at a lot of their frames and that's EXACTLY what I have in mind. I would love the minimalist look but I think I would have doors put in to hide the cords. Ty! And I like some canopies for sure, but I'm planning to put my tank in the living or dining room and so I want the tank to be the main draw and not an entire piece of furniture ya know? So a minimalist stand with a VERY clear tank (high end glass or acrylic). I still wouldn't Mind a canopy in the living room but there's not even close to enough space (I know that the canopy is the same size as the tank and table but it's a larger piece of furniture to me). That's also due to the fact that the canopies I see are wood and basically very nice furniture. Maybe a more clear canopy would work? It's really space not preference aesthetically (why I don't want a larger/taller set up).

If I was willing to spend that kind of money on a tank, i would personally go with the stand Dave recommended, an acrylic tank (because they are lighter, have less chance of leaking, and are more than likely very similar to the waterbox tanks clarity wise), and a twinstar light or two. I had an opportunity to see a twinstar in person, and the only light that I think is better is Kessel, which would probably run more than the waterbox setup lol.

How would you do the lights if you dont have a canopy? Hanging, or sitting on the edges of the tank?

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

If I was willing to spend that kind of money on a tank, i would personally go with the stand Dave recommended, an acrylic tank (because they are lighter, have less chance of leaking, and are more than likely very similar to the waterbox tanks clarity wise), and a twinstar light or two. I had an opportunity to see a twinstar in person, and the only light that I think is better is Kessel, which would probably run more than the waterbox setup lol.

How would you do the lights if you dont have a canopy? Hanging, or sitting on the edges of the tank?
Ha Ha Ha Ha What's funny is all of a sudden I've jumped from a 50 gallon seaclear with a bracket light on a sturdy table to me planning on thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment. It's so easy to fall in the trap! I have NO clue about lighting. I've only been keeping fish for a year and a half and you just made me realize I think THATS why I wanted a set up--Bc I have not much clue what I'm doing! However I have time to learn as I save up my thousands Lolol. I really won't want to hang the lights but I think that looks better than sitting on side right? And I think my acrylic is SO clear so when you say they are similar to water box are you saying that high quality glass can be as clear? Just curious!

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Ha Ha Ha Ha What's funny is all of a sudden I've jumped from a 50 gallon seaclear with a bracket light on a sturdy table to me planning on thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment. It's so easy to fall in the trap! I have NO clue about lighting. I've only been keeping fish for a year and a half and you just made me realize I think THATS why I wanted a set up--Bc I have not much clue what I'm doing! However I have time to learn as I save up my thousands Lolol. I really won't want to hang the lights but I think that looks better than sitting on side right? And I think my acrylic is SO clear so when you say they are similar to water box are you saying that high quality glass can be as clear? Just curious!
I have no clue about the comparison between the Waterbox vs acrylic clarity. I was just going by what waterbox and acrylic tanks say LOL
If you can, go to a few LFS and ask what lights THEY use, and look at them yourself. Kessel have a shimmering effect, but cost a fortune, most other quality lights will have no shimmer, but will grow plants fine. I personally like the hanging light option because I have always wanted to have random plants growing OUT of my tank (look up "mangrove plants in aquarium" for an example).

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

I have no clue about the comparison between the Waterbox vs acrylic clarity. I was just going by what waterbox and acrylic tanks say LOL
If you can, go to a few LFS and ask what lights THEY use, and look at them yourself. Kessel have a shimmering effect, but cost a fortune, most other quality lights will have no shimmer, but will grow plants fine. I personally like the hanging light option because I have always wanted to have random plants growing OUT of my tank (look up "mangrove plants in aquarium" for an example).
Do you like shimmering? And will do!

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Do you like shimmering? And will do!
I think I do, but I would only buy Kessils if there was a way to turn it off. There is something about the light color, or intensity, or shimmering that hurts my eyes, at least at the store (those may also be marine lights...) and I would want to be able to take pictures of my fish without weird dark lines lol

It is certainly a cool effect. If you can see them in person, it is worth a trip.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
  • Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
Islandvic