Water backing up into filter

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by fishingman001, Apr 8, 2010.

1. fishingman001

fishingman001Well Known MemberMember

My power went out yesterday and water backed up in the tubing. The water then went into my airpump. It still works but I was wondering how to stop that from happening again.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

You'll need to install a check valve to keep this from happening again. Here's what it looks like:

You can probably find one at your LFS or chain store.

3. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

The other option is to ensure you keep your air pump at least a couple of inches above the top line of the water.

I went out and bought a few check valves, and found that my pumps weren't strong enough to push ANY air through them. So my pumps are now hanging from nails just above my tanks, very quiet, too!

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I've used the check valves on every air pump I've ever used and never had any issues. Bubblynutter are you sure you have the valve pointing in the right direction?

Ken

5. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I checked twice to make sure. I got MAYBE a couple of bubbles out of my stronger pump. I'm wondering if I got dud valves...

6. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

i have a plastic piece that controls the air flow. is that the same thing?

7. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

can i have the airflow valve and the check valve on the same tubing?

9. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

yes and a check valve will save you from losing some if not all the water in your tank. This is not a "if you want" part for your tank it can be a life saver.

10. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice