water and no filter

ponypals92
I'M SITING UP A NEW TANK THIS IS FOR MY NEW TANK

i'm goin to set up my moms old 30 gallon hex but there is no filter can I just fel it and let the water set for like 3 days

Lucy
HI pony,
30g! cool!
I see you know about the nitrogen cycle, so you know that answer is no. Get a filter then fill it and cycle it first.
Sitting water gets stagnant.

Blub
Hi!

Buy yourself a filter rated for 40gal, and a heater. Then cycle the tank.

sirdarksol
A heater is not necessary to begin the cycle. Whether or not a heater is needed will be determined by the fish that are going to be going into it.
However, as Lucy said, a filter is a must (barring setting up a heavily planted, lightly stocked tank, but that's an advanced project. I'm just getting to the point that I can do this, after six or more months of setup)

susitna-flower
i'm goin to set up my moms old 30 gallon hex but there is no filter can I just fel it and let the water set for like 3 days

HI Sam, what do you plan to do with this tank after 3 days?

Are you going to do a fishless cycle? The bacteria that acomplish the cycle need warmer than room temp water to reproduce fast - which will speed your cycle.

I agree, you need the filter, and heater right from the start.

The tank in your Aquarium profile has high nitrites, is this the same tank?

sirdarksol
I might have missed something. If the fish you have listed in your profile are currently in the 30g, Hatchet and Susitna are right, a heater is a must. But then, your temp suggests that you might already have one in there, so this might be a moot point.

COBettaCouple
You'll want to put a filter on that tank and then cycle it fishless. Get the API master freshwater testing kit to track the progress of the cycle.

Blub
Hi!

Heater isn't a must but I assume you like Tropical - I don't see the big up of coldwater as you will need a bigger tank which counters out the heater cost. I also happen to know Pony keeps tropicals - I think she has a Betta a Pictus and a Pleco which she's taking back soon - Betta has his own 5gal I think.

ponypals92
ok I set it up today with a filter and used tetra aqua safe i'm goin to do the fish less cycle

I allso have correct PH do u put that in the tank now too?

ponypals92
ITS LIKE THIS

Lucy
Since you are just starting the cycle, I would add anything to adjust the PH.
I'll leave it to the experts to answer whether or not to adjust it when it comes time to add fish.

sgould
Your aquarium info shows your PH is at 6.8, correct? If so, don't mess with it. 6.8 is nearly "ideal", and even if it wasn't, most fish adapt to whatever pH they are in without trouble. It is actually more important for your pH to be stable than it is to be "perfect", and when you try to artificially alter it you frequently end up causing a yo-yo effect of increasing and decreasing pH. That is by far more dangerous for your fish than just letting them adapt to your water as is.

COBettaCouple
Definitely don't try to alter the pH. The results are temporary and a constant drain on the budget and the changing pH is really hard on the fish. A stable pH is best for them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Thibault Drake
Replies
Views
Poshia11
Replies
Views
bgarthe
Replies