Water Always Cloudy. : (

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my 30 gals is medium-to-heavily planted.
Very small Crypts X7 and 1 larger one, Java Fern X 4, Bacopa Carol. X4 stems, Scarlet Temple X6 stems, Water Sprite X alot, some floating as well, small Amazon Sword X4, which I just planted yesterday, Vallisneria X small amount, just planted yesterday, Dwarf hairgrass Xa few miniscule, very small clumps, Wisteria X a bunch, medium sized, Red Tiger lotus, small X 1, Dwarf Aquarium Lily X 4 small ones and finally, Java Moss Xabout 2 baseball sizes on driftwood

Then Eco Complete black and 1 Fluval/Aquaclear 50 HOB with Bio-media, a very thick sponge and filter floss.
3 four month old platys, 9 1/2 inch Platy fry, Cory's X 5, SAE, X2, 1 baby betta, 3 Otos, 12 Nerites, large sized, 2-3 pond snails, 3 Amanos, and 3 sunset platys.
AMMONIA: 0.0, NITRITE: 0.0, NITRATE: 10-20

I've done plenty of water changes, over 4 weeks, and it's still a bit cloudy, (but not as bad as some bacterial blooms I've seen over the years past) but just......a bit hazy is all.
I vaccuumed a few times, as it seems that the tank is rather dirty from dead plant material as well.

So, is this from Heterotrophic bacteria bloom from my substrate? Or from a dirty tank? The tank has always been hazy, mind you...or is this just still kinda cycling?
I started the tank March 22nd, 2018. Thank you everyone. This is all kinda weird...

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've not been able to get mine to clear either, up for only 3 months. I think it's partially from my medium planted tank.. Last two times I've cleaned out my Fluval 406, the pads were very dark from tons of diatoms. My nerites are keeping my glass and rocks clean, but I think it's still in the water column. I've tried diy booster filter with 50 micron felt x2, phosfree to remove phosphates/silicates and purigen to help remove organics assuming those are feeding them. It helped some, but definitely not clear. I only ran it a few days and I think it had some blow-by.

I just ordered a Marineland Magnum booster filter which comes with a polishing pad and you can also prime it with diatomaceous earth to super polish down to around 5-10 microns. If you checkout the before/after pictures on Amazon, it's similar to what my tank looks like.
Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Marineland Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter (ML90770)
A few people have had problems with it, but I really need something to clear up my tank.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah this tank has only been cycled for about 1 month, and 1 week; I only do weekly WC’s about 20-30%. .00 ammonia, .00 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. Maybe it’s still kinda cycling...?

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with halting water changes for a while. My tank is much different from yours since I only have a betta and two snails in a 20 gal, but it worked for me. I didn't do water changes for two weeks and on the tail end of the second week I stopped dosing liquid CO2. It cleared up by the end of the second week and I gave it an extra day before doing a big water change.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok cool. Yeah, I stopped using Excel last week since I have Vallisneria now and have been running a solid CO2 rig for about a month. Yeah gonna stop WC’s for a while now. Thank you gentleme!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gonna halt the WC's for now, and give it a few weeks etc. If no improvement for the next two to three weeks, gonna perhaps try Purigen as well. Then, perhaps a UV sterilizer/some sort of polisher. It could be that my tank is still adjusting really! Only been cycled for about a month really. But the water readings are still good at least... (.00 ammonia, .00 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate)

This may be from either 1. Bacterial bloom in the water column, 2. Algae bloom, although the water is NOT green. Or 3. Precipitation from Flourish Iron. Gonna maybe try a UV sterilizer or a water polishing canister. Not to mention halting water changes and cleaning my substrate more often. Could be either #1, or or 3...I dunno... : (

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok great! 'Preciate that! Tanks clearing up a bit more...but still a wee bit hazy still...

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, installed it. I put it in and could only check it 20 hours later. Cleared up really well. Wanted to test polishing filter with DE, took 4 hours to charge it in a 5g bucket. Ran for 8 hours in tank and worked really well. Problem is the 300g per hour is WAY more than my fluval 406. It creates a large current in my 54g bowfront. Charging with DE didn't reduce too much. The center of the cartridge can hold bag of whatever and might help reduce flow a bit as well. I'm happy enough and will use it as needed. Ill try adding some media this weekend and see if it lowers flow some more.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, thank you very very much, but...my 30 gal. tank crashed 2 days ago sir. You can read my posts if you wish to for the entire story. : ( What happened was, I accidentally used a leaky turkey baster (Had NO idea that it was leaky) in attempt to kill my minor infestation of staghorn algae, and I lost ALL of my fish in my livebreeder tank. : ( I accidentally dosed clsose to 20 OUNCES of hydrogen peroxide. Luckily my HOB was off and about 50% of the water was drained out. Snails, dead. my fry, dead, my platys, all dead. The only survivors were a few Corys, 1 Amano and 1 baby male betta. He's in a bowl right now here. Did a 90% WC, refilled it, then dosed with some Stability afterwards. Squeezed some very used media in the HOB as well. Have 2 HOB's running now here. My current readings are: ammonia, reads between .25 and .50, nitrite, .25-.50, and nitrate about 10-20 ppm. Doing my very best to remedy this screw-up. : (

Michael.j.gomez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I was getting bacteria blooms every time I would do a water change. Figured out that I was over cleaning, gravel vac, glass, plastic plants & filter. Started spreading things out instead of all at once (no more blooms)! Hope this helps.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you sir. Uh, yeah...from now on, I'm gonna use a reliable, intact syringe for peroxide if it all, when dosing on any "bigger" algae. Learned my lesson ten-fold in this case. Trying to be patient and re-cycle this tank now...hopefully it shouldn't take too too long. Yeah, gonna maybe try a UV sterilizer. Although the one I'm scoping out now on Amazon, has a built in PH, but hopefully not so strong it creates too too much of a flow! In one of my smaller tanks I have the Hydor nano fan which actually's pretty powerful! Yeah 300gph IS a lot lol Current cycle recovery readings: ammonia, .25-.50, nitrite, .25,,anf finally, nitrate betwen 10-20 ppm. Gotta wait this out some more...maybe a do a WC tomorrow...added Stability and Prime as well.

Yeah Mr. Gomez, I intially thought it was from my Eco Complete substrate in 1 of my tanks, as that is virtually saturated with heteroscopic bacteria. It may or may not be that...honestly, I'm not 100% sure. Although I entirely agree with your angle as well, because when I did my weekly WC's, it was cloudy just the same, whether it was a 20% change...50% change, or more. Although I usually onlt do about 25%, tops. I was actually gonna try Erythromycin to clear some of the bacteria in the water column...see if that worked BEFORE acquiring a UV sterilizer, which was my next viable option next. Also, all of my tanks are planted medium to heavily. High probability is, I think I may just have to opt for a specialty canister filter, or a UV sterilizer...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom