Watchman scare

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
About 5 months ago we decided to try a yellow watchman goby in our 55 reef tank. He seemed to be doing well and we eventually got him a pistol shrimp in the hopes they would bond...a few days later we say hide nor hair of shrimp or fish. About 2 months had gone by without any sighting and we assumed the worse. :;a2

Tonight i changed the carbon tube attached to my overflow box and to my surprise saw the watchman caught in the little compartment where the tube went! We quickly rescued the poor guy and put him back in the display....after two months of living in that small space he looks in very poor health. I quickly fed him as much brine shrimp/spirulina frozen food as i could direct at him which he ate with much gusto. Now he is hiding under a rock :-X

Any advise on how to help him recover quickly without having to quarantine him? My qt tank filter burned out and i haven't been very successful keeping a QT without a proper filter.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Naeusu,

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Hopefully some of our salt tank members will help you out shortly.

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i would definitely feed him mysis but he's a very small fish (about 2inches). He might be a little too small for them.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you tried squirting food at him with a turkey baster ?

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, i squirted a spirulina/brine shrimp mix at him which he had been eating before his disappearance. He ate it rather voraciously the poor thing. He's incredibly skinny...all eyes and head now.

MizRamzi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try adding a little garlic to the food mix-it will boost his appetite and help his immune system. It works!! Good luck and keep us posted on the little guy

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's still eating but i'm worried that i may be overfeeding the tank :X i want to make sure he gets enough nutrition but he's such a strange eater....he hides under the rock and darts out at food passing by so it makes it hard to feed him...

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Speaking of watchmans, I just lost one. He was about 2.5 inches long and in there with a yellow-headed gobie and a tribal blenny. Bought him on Thursday along with a pistol shrimp. Friday morning I saw him acting normally on the tank bottom, then didn't see him again. I did find, on Saturday, a bit of fish flesh in the tank. Likely that he was eaten by one of the other similarly body shaped guys.

The LFS has another larger watchman - he's about 3.5 inches long. My yellow-headed sleeper is around five inches long. Wondering if there will be another attack. I was stirring some sand yesterday and the pistol shrimp he was with is still alive.

smileyfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldnt be too worried if he's still alive and eating. Gobies are extremely hardy and i'd say after a week you should stop overfeeding, and just feed as you normally would but with a little bit aimed towards his hole. Good luck

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your info says you have 2 engineer gobys, a sleeper, and a blenny. Do you still have the other 2 engineers?

I was told once that you should really only keep 1 goby unless it's a very large tank...purchasing another is very possible to lead to another fatality :X

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Engineer gobies aren't true gobies. And they are very docile. I rarely see them except at night sometimes.

I'm more inclined to think it was the sleeper. However, my engineers are extremely large. They look like small eels now. The only reason I don't get rid of them is that they were the first fish that I introduced to the tank.

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know the feeling :C i started out my tank with a sailfin tang, a queen angel, and a powder brown tang. I got them as a set from my friend who was tearing down his tank....he originally had the 3 plus a yellow tang...apparently they beat the yellow to death. Anyway, the powder brown was getting so aggressive i would regularly come home to find the sailfin's sails all torn up and finally the queen's bottom back fin nipped off almost entirely! I had to scoop him out of there which involved me almost tearing apart the entire tank....it was quite heartbreaking but i couldn't have him killing my other fish :c

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads