Watched Cory Cat Kill Ramshorn Snail

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 29 gallon heavily planted community tank. I feed well, do weekly water changes, and check on the health of my tank regularly.

The other day, I saw one of my peppered corydoras grab a live ramshorn snail, and thrash it about... repeatedly! It was clearly trying to rip the snail from it's shell.

Does anybody else have experience with cory cats trying to eat snails? I thought only loaches and dwarf puffers were snail eaters.

Betrayer

Well Known
Reaction score
So strange! I’ve never seen my cories do anything like that to my ramshorns. It’s not something I’ve read about happening either. I can’t really even picture how they would pick one up and thrash it around. I guess all fish are different though? You’re sure you weren’t dreaming when you witnessed this?

OP
Fahn

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EJ_Fresh said:
So strange! I’ve never seen my cories do anything like that to my ramshorns. It’s not something I’ve read about happening either. I can’t really even picture how they would pick one up and thrash it around. I guess all fish are different though? You’re sure you weren’t dreaming when you witnessed this?
It repeatedly grabbed the snail by the fleshy part of it's body and shook lol, never seen anything like it.

Betrayer

Well Known
Reaction score
Fahn said:
It repeatedly grabbed the snail by the fleshy part of it's body and shook lol, never seen anything like it.
Hahaha. So odd!! Do you think there is any chance the snail was dead before the thrashing?

New Threads