Wasting disease???

chadwickd1983

Hello, I have 2 silver female swordtails that I got at the same time about 2 months ago. One of them is doing great. She's eating, growing, acting like a happy fish. The other one, however, is not so good. She started out doing pretty well, however, in the past 3 weeks or so, she's actually started getting smaller and can't seem to be able to get rid of ich. I have the temp set to 86, been treating the tank with Ich-X, and even did a full treatment of ParaCleanse. But the spots will not go away. Does anyone have any advice?

Patman0519

Hello, I have 2 silver female swordtails that I got at the same time about 2 months ago. One of them is doing great. She's eating, growing, acting like a happy fish. The other one, however, is not so good. She started out doing pretty well, however, in the past 3 weeks or so, she's actually started getting smaller and can't seem to be able to get rid of ich. I have the temp set to 86, been treating the tank with Ich-X, and even did a full treatment of ParaCleanse. But the spots will not go away. Does anyone have any advice?
Are you sure it is ich? If so does your other fish have the spots as well?

Upvote 0

chadwickd1983

I can't say 100% that it is ich. But that is how it is presenting and what it looks like. None of the other fish have spots. They're all acting fine. That's why I did a treatment of ParaCleanse, just in case it was another type of parasite.
Would it maybe be a good idea to treat with KanaPlex in case it is bacterial or fungal?

Upvote 0

Broggy

wasting diastase is usually an internal parasite, not ick. its when parasites eat away at the inside of a fish, making them not hungry, and lose weight even if they do eat. however, it could definitely have both.

Upvote 0

chadwickd1983

wasting diastase is usually an internal parasite, not ick. its when parasites eat away at the inside of a fish, making them not hungry, and lose weight even if they do eat. however, it could definitely have both.
Yeah, I realize that they're 2 different types of parasite. And I have treated for both but the white spots on her tail and fins just won't go away. And it seems she keeps getting smaller and smaller and not eating very much, if at all.

Upvote 0

Broggy

Yeah, I realize that they're 2 different types of parasite. And I have treated for both but the white spots on her tail and fins just won't go away. And it seems she keeps getting smaller and smaller and not eating very much, if at all.
is it a full blown case of ick, or just a few cysts? its possible they could just be normal non ick cysts that don't respond to meds.

Upvote 0

chadwickd1983

is it a full blown case of ick, or just a few cysts? its possible they could just be normal non ick cysts that don't respond to meds.
It might not be ich. I'm not really sure. She's got white spots on all of her fins and tail. Another thing that really concerns me is that she has gotten smaller in the past several weeks and doesn't eat much. I have treated with Ich X for about a week and a half, done a full treatment of ParaCleanse, and neither one has seemed to help. Would it be wise to maybe do a treatment of KanaPlex just in case it is something bacterial or fungal?

Upvote 0

SarahPar

Best to dose salt and Blue Planet fungus cure. That has gotten rid of any ich like issue I have ever had.
Then for the internal parasite best bet would be to use Seachem Metroplex.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mistacliff
Replies
Views
IntegralGuy