Waste Control Products

1. michaelh

michaelh Valued Member Member

Anyone has any experience with these waste control or bio clear products? I mean they are very tempting but do they upset your cycle (I assume they do)? Most of them don't give to much info, the fluval ones recommend the use of bacteria in order to counteract the ammonia spike produced by the breaking down of waste.
    So what you think, should or should not be used? What are the pros and cons? Is there any company better than other?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're gimmicks. Water changes and gravel vacs are the best way to remove fish waste.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? (click the words - they're a link!) Beneficial bacteria will grow and convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, which you then remove with water changes. Some bottled bacteria assist to speed up cycling, some are gimmicks as well.

3. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

They work and work fast. I use Seachem Remediation and never had the "ammonia spike" Remediation has the necessary bacteria that deals with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. IMHO these types of products should only be used on older aged aquariums, and, you should only use them if you are planing a real large water change/changes a few days after using them.

Done right your water, plants, substrate will be squeaky clean. Done wrong and you will have a mess. Oh and did I mention IMHO it should only be done on older aged tanks ?

Sorry, not gimmicks, and yes I agree on the water change and gravel vacs as being best.

4. OP
    OP
    michaelh

Yeah that's what i tought. It's just that their description is so enticing.
    What about water clarifiers?

5. TexasDomer

Same thing. Unnecessary.

And adding bacteria to an aged and cycled tank is unnecessary, as the beneficial bacteria are already there to support the bioload of the tank.

6. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I was just in a LFS yesterday and I saw a whole section of the fix this fix that for water. Kinda giggled at all the promises they make. Prior to joining this forum I would have jumped at some of the stuff. But I go with the advice from veterans now. Most are gimmicks. Take your money and run do some research then spend it wisely.

7. OP
    OP
    michaelh

I must say that in the past I've use aqueon water clarifier with excellent results...

Do you know any name of non-gimmicks ones?

Look in general i agree that no chemical is better. I'm talking about exceptions.

8. TexasDomer

I don't know of any. What's the problem in your tank?

9. OP
    OP
    michaelh

Keep having ammonia spikes. I did Friday a 90% water change and vacuum. Added TSS+. Just looking to the future.

10. TexasDomer

In a cycled tank, ammonia spikes shouldn't be a problem unless something goes wrong (pH crash, filter is left off, you threw away the old filter media, etc.). There's no magic cure to ammonia spikes, but large water changes and dosing with Seachem Prime to detoxify it for 24-48 hours is your best bet.

11. OP
    OP
    michaelh

I did change filter. I have a fluval c4 and i changed only the sponge part. What's a good way to change the filter?
    Anyway since then i was not able to control ammonia.

I also added some aquarium salt. Could it be a problem?

12. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Aquarium salt will not affect your cycle.

In future if you ever have to change filter media cut the sponge in half or into thirds then replace a little at a time. Filter media rarely needs changing.

13. TexasDomer

What other filter media do you have in the filter? You never want to replace your bio media, and I don't replace my mechanical media every time either. Instead of replacing it, rinse and old tank water and reuse.

Why are you adding salt? It's not necessary, and it may cause problems.

14. OP
    OP
    michaelh

Somebody told me it's very beneficial.

Do you know the fluval c4?

15. TexasDomer

I can look it up, but that doesn't really tell me if you added additional media to it.

Beneficial for what? For what purpose are you using it?

16. OP
    OP
    michaelh

The fluval c4 comes with 3 different stages of filtration so even if you change one you still have the other 2.

17. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

If you mean mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration, most filters have this, and biological is the only part that contains a significant amount of bacteria.

18. OP
    OP
    michaelh

Yes I know. The difference with this filter is that the stages are separate so by changing one you are not affecting the others. As opposed to other companies where you just have a filter floss stuffed with carbon and no place at all for biological media.

19. TexasDomer

That is not necessarily true. Mechanical and chemical media will also have a lot of bacteria if you never change them out. I change out my mechanical media with some regularity, so I would expect it to have less. But all media has some, and if you've never changed them, then they should have significantly sized bacterial colonies as long as the material is porous enough.

But I'm glad you're not changing the biomedia!

20. OP
    OP
    michaelh

When you say never change biological media you mean NEVER? Or every year?