Question Wasp Tank Part 1: The Sprayening

BlanchedZucchini

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, so my parents had an old 5 gallon I think one of my sisters had a looooong time ago. I found it in their garage and they said I could have it (I plan on using it for practicing aquascaping and maybe trying to breed shrimp, since I want to learn more about keeping them). The only problem I found when digging the tank out of the surrounding junk is that a nest of wasps had taken refuge inside of the tank itself.

Of course the wasps weren't having any of this and I may have gotten chased off a couple times whilst trying to remove them. Eventually I found some wasp spray and removed them after a quick blast of the chemical.

Which brings me to my question, since the nest (and subsequently the wasps) were in the tank, will the chemicals I sprayed them with be dangerous to any future inhabitants, namely shrimp? I cleaned the tank pretty thoroughly after they were removed as it did have a layer of dirt and dust, plus webs and other debris. I also sprayed pretty sparingly, do you think it would be dangerous to use the tank at this point?

(Also there won't be a part 2, I just didn't know what to name the thread.)

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it’s harmful to wasps, it’s probably harmful to just about any other invertebrate. I recommend checking out the Fishlore first aid. It explains how to handle in-tank contaminants

BlanchedZucchini

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it’s harmful to wasps, it’s probably harmful to just about any other invertebrate. I recommend checking out the Fishlore first aid. It explains how to handle in-tank contaminants
Ok, thank you! I'll check it out!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, thank you! I'll check it out!
Rinse very well with the hottest water you can, but not like boiling water. I would use a good dish soap. Then rinse well again.

Wasp spray is nasty, and can be a good self defense weapon, even against bears.

The good news is you're dealing with glass and inert plastic. Neither are porous, and both are pretty darn inert. Neither should be able to hold the wasp spray well. Your only real concern is the silicone. Given my experience with wasps and silicone for garage lighting, I'd say you are safe as long as you rinse in hot water for a bit and ensure to wash it off.

BlanchedZucchini

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rinse very well with the hottest water you can, but not like boiling water. I would use a good dish soap. Then rinse well again.

The good news is you're dealing with glass and inert plastic. Neither are porous, and both are pretty darn inert. Neither should be able to hold the wasp spray well. Your only real concern is the silicone. Given my experience with wasps and silicone for garage lighting, I'd say you are safe as long as you rinse in hot water for a bit and ensure to wash it off.
Thanks a lot! This is super useful information. I was about to start calling Raid about how to clean their chemicals off glass haha.

On a side note, I’ll remember this next time I have to defend myself from a bear.

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, it's a great CNS depressant. Really messes a person up, but it generally not fatal.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep some handy to ward off Crosby Stills and Nash.
Awwe I like those guys ! We don't have to spray them do we ??

Seriously ,the spray is fast powerful acting poison. While I agree glass is inert and will not soak up anything I know silicone is not !
I would fill tank with water only and run some carbon on it for a couple days ..Just me ?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I was just joking they are really cool guys actually and cleaning thoroughly is a sensible precaution as aquatic life is especially sensitive as the water presents a very effective pathway compared to earth and air.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 17 35.4%

Top Bottom