Washing hands before patting bettas :-o

mare2009

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Washing hands before patting bettas... I would guess that this has been addressed before. I thought it was worth noting as I read about betta's and how personable they are. (mine sure is). I have read how they eat from fingers, swim around hands, etc. For new people wanting to do this, please keep in mind to wash your hands first or to be mindful if you have been smoking a cigarette (etc), and then put your hands in their betta water. The nicotine can cause stress and Im sure its an irritant. Also printer paper with ink, makeup with glitter, etc.. I thought because I love these guys and I know everyone else does too.. thats why we have 'em, that sometimes these little details are worth a heads up..thank you (and no judgment intended)

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree! I'm a real fanatic hand-washer, people who know me say too much, especially when cooking, flying in the germ-tubes called aircraft, and dealing with fish tanks! Also, rinse your hands very well. No soap in the tanks!

I'm also near paranoid when it comes to cross contamination between tanks. All of them have their own separate turkey basters for cleaning substrate, plastic spoons, plastic cups for withdrawing water during changes, etc. Nothing goes directly into the water from one tank to the other.

It's okay. You can all call me Paranoid Pam.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! We can never be reminded too often about thsese things.

mare2009

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree! I'm a real fanatic hand-washer, people who know me say too much, especially when cooking, flying in the germ-tubes called aircraft, and dealing with fish tanks! Also, rinse your hands very well. No soap in the tanks!

I'm also near paranoid when it comes to cross contamination between tanks. All of them have their own separate turkey basters for cleaning substrate, plastic spoons, plastic cups for withdrawing water during changes, etc. Nothing goes directly into the water from one tank to the other.

It's okay. You can all call me Paranoid Pam.
.. I won't call you that..my daughter calls me 'mrs monk' I just think its a good Habit...and yes soap, moisture lotion..we should have a list. ( I also carry Purell with me too..)

Mike19

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm also near paranoid when it comes to cross contamination between tanks
Am i weird if i have a bucket for siphoning water and a bucket for pouring water back into my tank haha.

mare2009

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Am i weird if i have a bucket for siphoning water and a bucket for pouring water back into my tank haha.
If you still have three tanks as shown in your profile, NO, that's not weird at all!

Mike19

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I have that too. I don't put the fresh water in where the dirty water has been...
Yeah thats the best way to go. who knows what has been siphoned out of the tank i wouldn't want to risk mixing it back in again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom