Washing hands and Plants

1. Nitemelodies Member Member

Sorry I didnt know if i should post this in Plants section or beginners bc I am a beginner... haha

So first... I read before you do anything with your tank you should wash your hands... What if you smoke cigs or put on perfume and accidently forget to wash your hands and put them in the tank ? o.o

Also, on my other post I said I wanted to have a planted tank... Bc I read Panda cories, DG's and the other fishies I want like them....

I currently have Java Fern and Amazon sword in the little tank I have now. I got them bc they dont need much light and easy for beginners... would it be bad to transplant them into my new tank?

Also what are other easy plants for a 20 gallon long? And cheap options for lighting? I read the post in the Plant section which helped a bit but im on a budget... and have no idea what to even buy... >.>

any tips and advice would be great. I will have a sand substrate if that helps o.o

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Even trace amounts of perfume getting in the tank could definitely be an issue, but I don't really know what would happen. Probably best to avoid it as best you can.

You can absolutely move the plants from one tank to the other, but the sword is a rooting plant. Just try and be careful with those roots.Crypts, your java fern, anubias, and hornwort are all plants that can do well in low light, but the sword actually requires a bit more light.
    Dolfan or Phishphin can help with the lights better than I can.

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Anubias is a nice looking plant that is easy to grow. Also Bacopa is one that I really like, it will propagate even from clippings.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about lights, but my plants do fine with eco complete substrate or fluval plant substrate and normal T-8 lights.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked them....

Yes your hands always need to be clean and not have any perfume, lotion, or anything else on them. Be sure their is no leftover residue from soaps and stuff. Rinse really well and you should be fine.

Basically any fish loves plant, they are natural, help clean the water, and make them feel like they are in nature rather than in a glass box in your house.

You can transplant most any plant easily. Just tie down the java fern wherever you want, be sure to not bury the rhizome (root where the leaves come out). The amazon sword can be planted like normal. Most plants will show a little stress and maybe drop a few leaves during this transplant process but should bounce back fine, assuming the new tank is good to go.

Easy, low plants include.....java fern and amazon swords which you already have, as well as water wisteria, hornwort, java moss, bacopa, anacharis, frogbit, anubias just to name a few.

Any plant you are wanting to keep will possibly have different needs. Some are root feeders, some are water column feeders, some need to be planted, some need to be NOT buried, etc. I suggest you research the individual plants. Googling with words such as "java fern care" or whatever plant plus the word care afterwards. Also, plantedtank.net is a great resource. They have a plant search feature that shows pictures and basic care of most any plant, as well as some tips from others who have kept it.

5. Nitemelodies Member Member

Oh thanks for the info! i have googled how to tie down a plant... i currently have my java fern in the sand with what I believe to be the rhizome sticking out... but it hasnt died yet or shown and discoloration, loss of leaves, or rotting anywhere so i think it is ok!

As for my swords... i Only have it under this little dome light... but it isnt showing any signs of dying.. so I believe its okay^^

Ill just have to find a place that sells better plants though Bc i got them at petco... just b/c they were cheap and I didnt want to invest in anything more if I was going to kill it fast...

um also though I have it in sand... do i need to get something called.. "root tabs?"

and I'll definitely check all those out^^

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Dolfan pretty much nailed it and I have little to add, but here is a little extra...

As far as lighting goes, you will hear a lot about wattage and lumens. Pretty much disregard that. The best way to determine if a light is low, moderate, or high, is to consider its PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation). The PAR tells you if this light produces the type of light that plants use for photosynthesis. PAR is affected by many things, including depth, so it's hard to figure out (e.g. a ground plant in a deep tank receives less PAR than a floating plant). MANY of the cheap lights out there do not provide this type of light. If you really get into plants and their lighting, you will want to look into a bulb's Kelvin Rating (K rating); this information is usually much more readily available than PAR. Plants benefit from lights between 6000k and 7500k (kelvin).

With that said, the low light plants Dolfan indicated are pretty hardy and do not require stellar lights.

This may be more information than you needed, but thought you might be interested. :)