Washing 100 lbs of sand.....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Jaysee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm about to start washing the sand for the 90 gallon. Of course it's really windy and miserable here, so I'll be washing it in the tub :(

I'm going to attempt to add the sand without removing the fish or the water (filters will be off).

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Good luck! You definitely have your work set out for you, but we're wishing you the best results possible:)

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Nevermind.....in the back of my mind, I was worried it was too good to be true. That sand I got is FILTHY.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, No! I'm so sorry. I have no sand experience, so I'm clueless.

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

It might wash clean eventually, but that's a lot of sand to eventually get clean, and a lot of wasted water.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I just washed 40lbs this week...goodluck with 100 ! LOL (mine wasnt dirty at all though thank god!)

7. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Get your sand from a pool supply place. Buy the filter sand, it is pre-washed.

8. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Im looking for white sand. i have cream/tan color PFS in a few of my tanks. i want variety..

most places in my area wont start stocking pool supplies for another month.

9. Shawnie

I got the Caribbean sea super natural white sand and I only washed for a few mins and tank was clear over night....but for 100lbs , that might be a bit much :( no pool places open here either and I couldnt wait

10. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Wow 100lbs get a 24 and some friends over lol

11. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I just use construction sand and works for me. Never been able to find pool filter sand.

12. Shawnie

can you get yours really white there? I asked a buddy and it looked a bit off white/tan here :(

13. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I have the super natural white sand (I think it's called moonlight sand). I like it, but it's $$$

14. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Nope is like yellowish when it gets wet but the Play sand is super white here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice