Was wondering about the bulb plants you see at the pet store

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was at Walmart looking at the fish food and just kind of wondered towards the other fish stuff they had and saw that they had packs of bulb plants... the ones they had where Aponogeton Bulbs and some dwarf lily blubs.
What kind of care would those need? and what kind of lighting do they need? and would they be able to fit in a ten gallon?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For the Aponogeton plants, the light and care needed will vary widely, depending on the species. Plantgeek rates them as needing a range between low and high light, and between middle-low to middle-high difficulty.
The following page gives some info about dwarf lilies.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It doesn't say what kind of Aponogeton plants they are it just says hardy

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's Walmart for you. I've seen packs of bulbs there that just say "aquatic plants." ;D

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i've gotten the Aponogeton Bulbs TWICE and i've never gotten them to grow. the ones i currently have, have been in my 10 gallon since the begining of April with no change at all. i even have the Aqua Culture Plant Growth Light Bulbs, and the plants havent changed a bit.

the Lillies are supposed to be a bit harder to care for, but i havent tried them yet (and i don't think i will)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a top fin bulb pack from petsmart a few months back, there was 5 or 6 bulbs in total, different types and sizes, only 2 sprouted, some sort of aponogetons, have very long leaves.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought a pack of 5 bulbs at Walmart and none of them grew. I sent them back to the return address on the package and within a month they had sent me back 10 bulbs. Of those, 6 grew and are doing well.

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I bought a pack also from walmart and only 3 of 5 grew. I sent the 2 bulbs back to the address and they send me 12 bulbs. Out of those 12 only 6 grew. Now I have nine and they are growing like crazy and blooming. The odd thing is 2 wanted to bloom but they had some sort of a baby aponogeton bulb with roots and leaves instead of blooming flowers. I have never seen that. Overall there pretty good and i have them growing on two 14watt 5000K cfl bulbs.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads