Was told something weird about danios and it's boggling my brain

LanceDog

I was at the pet store getting some shrimp and snails, and chatting with the employee about my critters as we know each other well. This other customer asked me about what kind of tanks I have and she told me she had danios. She stated her mother told her "danios are good for conditioning the water". I stared at her, completely baffled and had no idea what to say. "Oh, you mean like for fish-in cycling?" I asked her, trying to decipher this. She didn't know what I was talking about, and it was just really awkward. Anyone know what this is supposed to mean or if she simply had no clue what she was talking about?

carsonsgjs

She must mean fish-in cycling - danios are widely used because of their hardiness. Doesnt make it right but there you go.

They are remarkable fish but i dont think they have the ability to condition water - lets stick to prime etc for that!

Upvote 0

Katie Dawn

Yeah, it sounds like she doesn't know much about fish keeping (since she didn't know what you meant by cycling the tank). I bet her Mom told her that danios are great for CYCLING tanks, and since the daughter doesn't know the lingo but has heard the Mom say the word Conditioning in other situations she got the words mixed up.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I don’t profess to know what goes on in other peoples minds but.

Years ago before any understanding of the nitrogen cycle the hobby was full of talk and ( written word ) about “good water”.
It seems this old idea has hung around in some countries more than others .

I have to be careful how I say this next bit.
Australia is full of as we say first generation Australians ( newcomers). Of all the people from all the countries that now call Australia home it is often those from North America that raise this concept of “good water “ when they are talking about cycling a tank.

Many fish Keepers acknowledge that most of the bacteria lives on hard surfaces.
In all honesty I still think humans have more to learn about many things.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Zebra danios are pretty hardy and have survived pretty high ammonia concentrations in research so that's probably why they are good candidates for fish-in cycling

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ToasterTheBetta
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views
julifhy
  • Question