Question Was he eaten or did he die and then disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey All,
I have some plain old Ramshorn snails, I checked my tank this morning and found one dead. I remember reading on here that dead snails smell REALLY bad so I was curious and sniffed it, and nothing.
Infact, there was nothing inside at all. I broke it open, and empty.

Is that what happens when a snail dies, it like... dissolves?
Or did something eat it? I have an ADF, some platys, a couple of whiteskirt tetras, a blackskirt tetra, a cherry barb, and a male guppy. Could any of them of eaten the snail?

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
everything on your list would have loved to eat a snail out of it's shell.

the real question is whether or not one of the tank mates killed the snail, or if the snail died on its own,which after that it would have been very easy for anything to eat him..

and they can 'dissolve' into the water, if given enough time(being not eaten for that) but that would cause a spike in ammonia nitrites or nitrates.. so test/WC if needed.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I know he must of died overnight because I checked my tank before I went to bed and everything was good, this morning it was right smack dab in the middle of the tank. It wasn't hidden or anything........but I'll check my water to be sure.

I've noticed my frog seems to go after snails, if one gets close he tackles it down. I thought it was a game or something, but maybe he is the culprit? Do frogs eat snails?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had snails just dissolve. One of the ramshorns died in transit and its shell was empty. I then kept some ramshorns and pond snails in a Tupperware container on my counter waiting for MIL to get them. Several died and the shells were empty. Though now that I think about it, I did notice other snails at the entrance to the dead snails' shell so maybe they ate them.

I think the stinky snails would be the ones with trapdoors that seal the body in so no one can eat it.

-Lisa

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting.....because just now I found another empty snail on the bottom of the tank, in the same open area. Either they are dissolving very quickly, or something is eating them. I was only gone for two hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom