Was cycled after 2 months...

luna
I was cycled. Finally. After almost 2 months, I was cycled.

WAS.

...but there was a lot of loose particles in the substrate, including some from the gravel I'd had in there before I even got Kappa. It was nasty. Plumes of it that even the gravel vac couldn't get up. I had to drain the tank into a bucket so I could remove everything including the marbles to get the stuff out. Kappa went in the bucket with her heater and sponge filter, the other filter and bio-wheel went in more tank water, and I drained and got the nasty piles of ick out of the marbles. I re-added everything, but only some of the marbles...I just had too much, made cleaning and working around them too difficult. I kept everything wet, I replaced what I had to of the particle-filled icky water, so that I wouldn't siphon the stuff I just went through all that effort to get OUT of the tank right back in, but I thought I did enough to keep things okay.

I figured I'd test the water this morning, just to be sure...lo and behold, we have what I'm guessing is a mini-cycle. {insert prolific vulgar language}

Ammonia: *grumble* *snarl* 0.5 *expletive*
Nitrites: 0.25 *growl*
Nitrates: holding steady at 10

Somebody, shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

Shawnie
no shooting allowed! and I can only imagine the "expletives" used! have faith that things will get better as you have seen before, and if its the 5 gallon, it won't take long to go through the minI cycle big huggs!!

_Fried_Bettas_
Yes, I've gone through those mini-cycles too from cleaning too well. Actually going through one now since I redecorated the tank. Lots of bacteria in that gunk that ends up on the bottom. Water balances out fairly quickly though since there should still be plenty of bacteria in the filter.

chickadee
I am so sorry but we don't ever take the substrate out and do that thorough a cleaning without losing a cycle at least for a while. The only hope is to have a fully cycled sponge filter already to go back into the tank and that takes at least 10 days or so of running in a fully cycled tank before removing it and keeping it in the water full time until replacing it in the tank you need to have it pick up the cycle on. You can still have a minI cycle but usually not one as serious as the one you are having now. You just have not been cycled long enough to do this. I would say that the problem is all the flake food you were using before Kappa came into your life and it had not totally disintengrated and settled in the substrate.

You will probably have a 2 to 3 week catch up since it has ammonia present. I wish I could be more hopeful but this one is fairly serious since the ammonia levels are that high. How long had you had your sponge filter running? It was you that started the sponge wasn't it? I am sorry but I have only been here part time and I am losing track of who is doing what now.

Rose

luna
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrites: 1.0 (big increase from yesterday)
Nitrates: 10

*sigh*

chickadee
So sorry, luna. This is a disappointment to you I know but also a bit of a learning experience for us all. It is too bad that you have to be the one teaching us but cycles are very delicate for a long while after they become established. (several weeks anyway) I hope the time goes by swiftly and you are not too upset by this.

Rose

luna
I'll live, but it's frustrating that we spent all that time cycling her tank so Kappa would be healthier and happier, then I go to all that effort to try to clean out the nasty gunk built up so Kappa can have a nicer, cleaner tank...and undo the healthy and happy work!

...and, of course, since the only tank I could find when I went shopping was the Hex5, it's taller than it is wide, and it's harder to clean and maintain.

*sigh*

COBettaCouple
The substrate can be a pain like that, but once you're cycled, the regular maint. should keep that from happening again.

luna
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0.5

Much quicker progress all around than the first time.

chickadee
Oh I am so glad! I was so worried you would get discouraged. Now just to get the nitrites down and you are set. Just be careful for a few weeks.

Rose

luna
Ammonia: 0!
Nitrites: 0!

This was a lot quicker than I was expecting...hence the mini-cycle, I suppose.

Shawnie
congrats luna!

susitna-flower
Yeah! Good Job!

capekate
Ammonia: 0!
Nitrites: 0!

This was a lot quicker than I was expecting...hence the mini-cycle, I suppose.

Yeaaaa Luna!

pamd
Yay, Luna!!! It was interesting to see the details of the quick progression.

COBettaCouple
Party time!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ayzal
Replies
Views
sharkbaithoohah
Replies
Views
nikm128