Was berried, now saddled and no sign of babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a single cherry shrimp last week because she was berried. Definitely a lower grade than my other cherry shrimp but i settled for it. I noticed that today she is suddenly saddled, but i can no longer see eggs under her tail and i don't see and babies or dropped eggs. What am i looking for anyways? I imagine the eggs would be a yellow cluster if dropped but if scattered i wouldn't be able to see them amongst snail poo. And i am looking for tiny redish creatures but not seeing anything.

I only have 3 shrimp, which is why i can be certain of which shrimp is which. 2 are females and 1 I'm uncertain of but i believe is male because after molting they didn't develop a saddle like the other 2 did.

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok i believe i gathered an answer fron another thread. She molted and probably dropped the eggs.

Has anyone ever hatched dropped eggs? Ive heard you can hatch them when momma dies before they're born.

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
image how interesting is this image? You can see their little eyes! They are still attached to the molted skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnarkyXTS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is so intriguing! Do berried shrimp molt? I've had several berried shrimp die and all of them had the noticeable crack that happens when shrimp molt so I just assumed it was a molting issue.
Are those babies all dead now?

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought her berried, i think water change triggered her to molt. And she abandoned the eggs. She's still saddled so i think I'll do a water change to get the other 2 to get in the mood for mating.

At least 1 did hatch and its super tiny but alive. I did have the exoskeleton in a cup but i decided to dump the contents back into the shrimp tank and wish for the best.

iracious

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok i believe i gathered an answer fron another thread. She molted and probably dropped the eggs.

Has anyone ever hatched dropped eggs? Ive heard you can hatch them when momma dies before they're born.
Did you ensure the filter intake is covered with a net/pantyhose ?
As long as you shrimp-proof the filter and there are no predators (no fish of any species at all) in the tank, they should be hiding somewhere. They are really tiny and especially if the parents are not good grades, they may be close to transparent.

There was once i moved my shrimps to a smaller tank to rearrange the bigger tank and the mother shrimp dropped a few eggs in the small tank i suppose, as a few days later i spotted small shimplets in that empty tank...

Hope this helps!

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you ensure the filter intake is covered with a net/pantyhose ?
As long as you shrimp-proof the filter and there are no predators (no fish of any species at all) in the tank, they should be hiding somewhere. They are really tiny and especially if the parents are not good grades, they may be close to transparent.

There was once i moved my shrimps to a smaller tank to rearrange the bigger tank and the mother shrimp dropped a few eggs in the small tank i suppose, as a few days later i spotted small shimplets in that empty tank...

Hope this helps!
I have a sponge over the intake tube. It's a shrimp only tank. And the mom was definitely lower quality than my other shrimp. My others are pure red and only lose color in the dark. The mom was clearish with red specks, and her babies are clear as well. But i have seen a few active in the tank as of today. We watched them eat algae wafer and shrimp pellet. Mom is still saddled because im pretty sure my other 2 are females as well. I may buy a few more if they are better quality like my original shrimps.

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok last night i counted 5 babies! So id say they successfully hatched despite mommy molting and leaving the eggs behind

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is awesome! Usually there are concerns with them hatching because they are no longer being fanned regularly. So glad you have some new little ones

OP
Lady Monster

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is awesome! Usually there are concerns with them hatching because they are no longer being fanned regularly. So glad you have some new little ones
They must have been ready to hatch because i could see their eyes and they started hatching the day after i pulled the exoskeleton from the tank. I was surprised to see any survive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom