*WARNING* for vacationers and feeding blocks

SouthAmericanCichlids

Ok, y'all know those feeding blocks that are sold everywhere and are meant for vacation. DON'T USE THEM. If you are going to be gone for a week or less, your fish will be fine anyway. But I put one in my 55g tank with 4 angels, some tetras, a ton of guppies, and a pleco. And when I got back, ammonia was at like .25 ppm. (Really high) And it killed one of my angels. So just a warning to people, even if you just have one sitting around, don't use it. This was like Nov. but I thought I might be useful to some people on here.
 

Kribensis27

I used one of those just over a year ago. Messed up my water pretty badly.
 
Upvote 0

StarGirl

.25 ppm Ammonia isn't really that high. Thats like the slightest tint of greenish yellow.
 
Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

How did it kill your angel?
 
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

The ammonia killed it.
.25 ppm Ammonia isn't really that high. Thats like the slightest tint of greenish yellow.
I've always been told that any ammonia is deadly.
 
Upvote 0

Kribensis27

The ammonia killed it.

I've always been told that any ammonia is deadly.
Not exactly; .25 shouldn’t be enough to kill a healthy angel. There was likely something else in that block that caused it.
 
Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Feeding blocks are at best a waste of money. If I ever need someone else to feed my fish for any reason, I measure out the food they need to feed and put it in a plastic pill organizer. That way, all someone needs to do is open up the day on the pill organizer, and pour the food in. No worrying about them overfeeding or dumping a whole can in on accident. I'm planning on doing this before I have surgery on Thursday. My fish would probably be fine for the duration that I'll be floating in the 7th dimension from the painkillers, but my mother believes that I am chronically starving my fish to begin with so this will be to please her.
 
Upvote 0

StarGirl

It is..... to an extent. I dont think little would kill a fish in a week. That is the lowest amount you can have so therefore not "very high". I think of very high like over 1 ppm...

Did you feed the fish a bunch of food before you left? Im just curious is all because I used those in the past and never had a ammonia spike from them.
 
Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Feeding blocks are at best a waste of money. If I ever need someone else to feed my fish for any reason, I measure out the food they need to feed and put it in a plastic pill organizer. That way, all someone needs to do is open up the day on the pill organizer, and pour the food in. No worrying about them overfeeding or dumping a whole can in on accident. I'm planning on doing this before I have surgery on Thursday. My fish would probably be fine for the duration that I'll be floating in the 7th dimension from the painkillers, but my mother believes that I am chronically starving my fish to begin with so this will be to please her.
That's a good idea. I hope your surgery goes well!!!
 
Upvote 0

John58ford

Much like Deku-Cory , I portion out the food. I use contact lens cases for the job and set them on the tank they go with. They're plenty big enough to hold a day worth of food per side for any tank up to 55 with normal stocking and you get up to a 5 day vacation feeding every other day, or 8 days away feeding every 3.

I use the same cases for mineralization and other fish room chores, they were the best free/air tight/water proof containers I never paid for.
 
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

It is..... to an extent. I dont think little would kill a fish in a week. That is the lowest amount you can have so therefore not "very high". I think of very high like over 1 ppm...

Did you feed the fish a bunch of food before you left? Im just curious is all because I used those in the past and never had a ammonia spike from them.
No, I just fed my regular amount, and I put the piece in the middle of the tank, where it was available for all the fish.
 
Upvote 0

StarGirl

No, I just fed my regular amount, and I put the piece in the middle of the tank, where it was available for all the fish.
Oh I was just curious I dont use them any more but I guess it could have done it!
 
Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

That's a good idea. I hope your surgery goes well!!!
Thank you! I love your username, by the way. Fallout New Vegas is one of my all time favorites.
 
Upvote 0

inari

So sorry to hear about the loss of an angel. Those feeding blocks are terrible. When I first got into fish keeping I got one for my betta because I was in and out of my dorm room frequently and I thought that they needed to be fed all the time. Needless to say, that was a mistake I have been gone for almost 2 weeks and had someone feed them like once or twice during that time and my fish were much better off. The thing I always worry about with being gone for more than 2 weeks is the water change. Did you do a water change right before you left? That could have created some kind of problem as well. Just a thought.
 
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

So sorry to hear about the loss of an angel. Those feeding blocks are terrible. When I first got into fish keeping I got one for my betta because I was in and out of my dorm room frequently and I thought that they needed to be fed all the time. Needless to say, that was a mistake I have been gone for almost 2 weeks and had someone feed them like once or twice during that time and my fish were much better off. The thing I always worry about with being gone for more than 2 weeks is the water change. Did you do a water change right before you left? That could have created some kind of problem as well. Just a thought.
Yep, always do 50% before leaving for a ore than a week.
 
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Did you do a water change right before you left? That could have created some kind of problem as well. Just a thought.
Can doing those be dangerous before being gone for a while?
 
Upvote 0

inari

Can doing those be dangerous before being gone for a while?

Actually just the opposite. When I am leaving for a longer period of time I will do the water change right before (or the night before) I leave to ensure that the NH4 stays as low as possible.
 
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah, I thought so, just the way you said it made me worry, because I'd been doing it forever.
 
Upvote 0

GuppyOverlord11

They don't work for fish like guppies, cause they eat till they explode.
 
Upvote 0

Orandamum

Ok, y'all know those feeding blocks that are sold everywhere and are meant for vacation. DON'T USE THEM. If you are going to be gone for a week or less, your fish will be fine anyway. But I put one in my 55g tank with 4 angels, some tetras, a ton of guppies, and a pleco. And when I got back, ammonia was at like .25 ppm. (Really high) And it killed one of my angels. So just a warning to people, even if you just have one sitting around, don't use it. This was like Nov. but I thought I might be useful to some people on here.
I just put a weekend tetra stick in my tank to see what it did to the water before we go away, not good at all.. only put one in and it was gone in 24 hours but the ammonia went up so really wouldn’t want to leave one and go away for a week
 
Upvote 0

inari

I just put a weekend tetra stick in my tank to see what it did to the water before we go away, not good at all.. only put one in and it was gone in 24 hours but the ammonia went up so really wouldn’t want to leave one and go away for a week

I don't blame you at all. When I had my 10 gallon I used to feed my fish a little extra the day or so before vacation and I did a water change the night before I left. I read enough horror stories about these vacation blocks...A lot of times I don't think the fish even eat much of it.
 
Upvote 0

GoldieLove

I had the exact same thing happen to me 4 years ago with one of the shell shaped ones. I haven't used any of them since. I have a feeling not all the ingredients are listed on the packaging. There has to be something in them that causes the ammonia.
 
Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

Not exactly; .25 shouldn’t be enough to kill a healthy angel. There was likely something else in that block that caused it.
To be fair, this could have been for an extended period of time. A week straight of 0.25ppm of ammonia, maybe more, would have some affect. For all we know it spiked far more while OP was away.
 
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
3
Views
73
MangoPineapple
Replies
5
Views
129
DuaneV
  • Question
Replies
8
Views
160
pagoda
Replies
4
Views
79
americanninja
  • Question
  • Idkitsathrowaway
  • Guppy
Replies
3
Views
109
SotaAquatics
Top Bottom