Warning:don't do this...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Merri68, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

Well, here's one for the books.

I put zucchini into the tank today, and when the goldies hogged the chunk all for themselves, chasing away little Grover from their treat, I decided to outwit them.

I chose a small jelly jar from my cupboard, and measured it's diameter, comparing it to the girth of my two big gluttons.. And decided that NO WAY could either of them fit, fins and all, into the mouth of that glass. I figured that I would slip the zucchini, weighted down with a sinker, into that glass and put it in the tank, and Grover alone could feed on it to his little hearts content. Once he was done I could lift glass, rind and sinker out with no trouble.

WRONG! I put the glass, loaded with the zucchini slice, into the tank and sat down to watch a movie.

About ten minutes later I looked over at the tank and was horrified to find it suddenly all cloudy. It happened so fast that I jumped up to see what was going on.

Not only was grover in the jar, but Sparky wanted that pieece of zucchini SO BAD, that she'd decided to wriggle into the jar too. Thanks to her body shape, her face went in, and I guess her slime coat provided her with extra lubrication, andshe had managed to wriggle in until she effectively managed to push her body in, but her fins kept her from backing out. In essence she'd become a living cork. She and Grover were trapped!

The cloudiness in the tank was due to her thrashing around.. Her body must have slid over the zucchini slice and ejected it, shredded into a pulp, from the glass.

I slammed my hand into the tank and fished out the glass. She was still stuck.. With Grover all wedged at the very bottom of the jar. They both finally popped out when I lifted the whole fiasco out of the water. Grover zipped under his driftowood and she fled to the corner of the tank where she sleeps.

Sparky and Grover both appear to be ok. I can't see any damage to either fish, which has to qualify as a miracle. I thought at the very least she'd have fin damage... And after all, Grover had been squashed at the bottom of the jelly jar. No one seems the worse for wear but geeze!

So this is a warning to never underestimate the determination of ahungry fish.. And never put anything cylindrical into the tank unless you are POSITIVE they can't wriggle inside it. If I had been only a minute later spotting them jammed into that jar I might have lost them both to shock or injury. Whew!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

The living cork comment was the best!

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I guess fish are too motivated to get a treat no matter where it is! Glad your fish appear to be ok though :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Oh wow, that's horrible! I'm so glad everyone is ok, i would've had a heart attack :0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Glad it worked out.

6. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Wow glad they are both okay. Alison

7. Marlaina

Marlaina New Member Member

I had that happen to my black moor, Odin, earlier this year, only instead of a jar, he decided to storm the castle I had in the tank at the time, and managed to get himself so thoroughly stuck that it took me almost ten minutes to get him out. He did it while I was asleep, so I have no idea how long he was in there. When I finally managed to get him out, his entire right side was bereft of scale. He died a couple of days later and I sobbed like a baby. Now I have a monument to him with a painting, that castle - it was his favorite thing about the tank - and the little rock that he slept behind up on the wall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice