Warning - betta stuck in flower pot cave

janoue
I got quite a fright this morning when I came into my office. I stopped to talk to Brain to find him stuck. Stuck in the little hole in the bottom of his flower pot. I know i've seen other members use the flower pots as caves for their bettas and they are still a good idea. I'm on my way to walmart to get some plastic craft canvas and i'm going to cut it into a circle the same size as the bottom of the flower pot and put in the bottom. I hope it works and I will keep it posted. It was very scary. He's alright though!!! I got him out and he's swimming away. I can't see any tares or anything in his fins.

COBettaCouple
I'm glad he's ok and out of the hole safely.

Lucy
That was scary. It's a good thing you got there in time.

finmama
Glad he's ok! I am using little glass candle holders as caves
I have seen the plastic orangey flower pots without a hole in the bottom but no "real ones"

luna
I thought about getting a small pot for a cave, but decided on a small mug instead...solid bottom.

capekate
Thanks for the tip... it is a good warning for sure! Guess we should always make sure that whatever holes we have in our decorations, that they should be large enough for the fish to pass through without getting stuck. Can you imagine if that happened over the weekend? :-\ Thank goodness it was a work day! He is one lucky fish.... ;D

~ kate

aprilrain85
I use two of the smaller sized terracotta flower pots in my tanks. They both came with VERY small wholes in the bottom; however this can be adjusted if you still want to use them. If you take a screwdriver (the straight one) and a hammer, and VERY gently tap the screwdriver while its placed near the original hole you can make it bigger. This does make some mess, so I recommend doing it on top of a plastic bag. When you are done, the edges are a bit rough, but you can smooth them out using a file, sandpaper or even just printer paper (although it takes a bit longer). After this, if you need to rinse them off well to get the dust off before placing them in the tank. This process maybe takes 15-25 minutes, is very cheap (.49 to 1.99 per pot at Walmart), and provides a nice cave for Betta. I have terracotta pots in Geppetto's tank, and in my husband's planted tropical tank.

miker
Betta are very curious and try to experiment all the corners and holes. Good warning for all the Betta keepers.

Blub
Hi!

Glad you got their in time - lucky Betta! I use a coconut cave for Malachai, but he prefers going underneath his filter.

Drea
I use something rather unconventional for my bettas cave....it's a ceramic holder for a simmer pot that uses poupourri. It works great! it has about a 2-2-1/2" opening in the top (which when on it's side is in the front) then 2X 1" holes on the sides. Deuce just loves it...he swims in from all angles, sits in it, swims through the 2 side holes....just has a blast. And it's nice and smooth inside and out and the opening as well. I look at objects constantly, that could be used as tank decor, that aren't sold at the LFS...just got to make sure of how they are put together.

MissMTS
Thanks for the warning. I am so glad that Brain is okay. It's good that you were able to find him in time. Glad to hear he is doing well

PrettyPink08
I thought about using the lil flower pot but found neon caves at walmart which seem much safer and more holes so looks funner

janoue
Can you imagine if that happened over the weekend? :-\ Thank goodness it was a work day! He is one lucky fish.... ;D

~ kate

OH I work from home. My office is actually in my spare bedroom. I take care of my children all day until my husband gets home and then I do my 8 hours of bookkeeping. *yawn* I'm one tired chickie.

COBettaCouple
LOL.. Yea, our Bettas love those silly neon caves. Sure, they're not natural, but they're safe and make the Bettas happy and $3 works for us.
I thought about using the lil flower pot but found neon caves at walmart which seem much safer and more holes so looks funner

capekate
OH I work from home. My office is actually in my spare bedroom. I take care of my children all day until my husband gets home and then I do my 8 hours of bookkeeping. *yawn* I'm one tired chickie.
That's great that you can work from home. and good thing for your betta!

~ kate

janoue
Yes its great for my girls too. My mother keeps telling me "Janice you need to cut the umbilical cord". Well no I don't. I gave birth to them and I want to enjoy ever moment of their development. They are both very smart little girls. I live in a city of one million people and the cost of living is very high here. I'm not paying 1600 dollars a month to have strangers raise my babies and then only see them while stuck in rush hour traffic. Sure my nerves are very raw, and i'm very tired being a full time bookkeeper, full time maid ,full time mother, and full time fish keeper but its worth is. My oldest starts kindergarten (here its part of elementry school) and I will be class mom in her class two afternoons a week. But the way I look at it is the only way to truely know how she is doing in school, is to be there with her. That and the teachers are so short handed and the more I help out the better experience it will be for everyone. Mallory is not impressed that Mommy will be at school with her sometimes but my husband just said " tough luck, you mother cares". lol. Sorry for venting so much. I take a lot of flack from my husbands family for actually having a business and taking care of my kids. They think mothers should be mothers and nothing else. Boy have they been told off a few times!

Lucy
"Janice you need to cut the umbilical cord".

No need to cut it, it stretches pretty far.

Someday your kids will thank you.Mine did.

As they grow, you will know their friends, where they hang and what they like to do. This will help you help them make wise choices.

janoue
Thank you my thoughts exactly!

chickadee
It is so fortunate that you found Brain when you did. I will just caution once again, if something you put in the tank has holes give it the thumb test. If your thumb can go in and out of the hole easily, then chances are that Mr/Ms Betta can also. Otherwise the hole will have to be enlarged or the ornament done without. Bettas love to snoop and will want to go in and out of every hole they see so even if you do not think it is something the betta would want to go through, believe me they will. Silly fish .

Rose

susitna-flower
I am actually very impressed with your decision to work at home and take care of your children yourself.....

I am just in the process of making a life change so I can take care of my oldest child's baby.....My daughter has just been accepted into the PHD program at the university here, which is a 5 year commitment and she is going to have her first baby this May...

I think any time family can raise the kids it is best. In this case my husband and I are looking forward to a change, and new direction in life.

Kindergarten is much too young to consider it a problem to still want to be "connected"... I think it is great, and all the way through highschool you will want to be just as involved. The kids really do appreciate it when you go to all their functions. Good Job and keep it up!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bellaona
Replies
Views
Biiba
Replies
Views
adh/smile
Top Bottom