Warning about Glass Thermometers! Important 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use the glass thermometers because I dislike the stick on ones for a number of reasons not pertinent to this thread. Anyway, I was removing the one from my 55 gallon to put in my 5.5 gallon to monitor if the 5.5's heater is working properly. I grabbed it just above the suction cup and went to pull it off and broke the top off! It cut my finger and a large chunk of glass fell into my aquarium. Luckily the mercury is sealed off and doesn't leak out if you break the top. In another stroke of luck it pretty much broke in one chunk so it was easy to get out of my tank. This thermometer was brand new 3 months ago, so I doubt it was just aged glass that caused this. More likely this glass is just very thin. I strongly recommend removing these glass thermometers from your aquarium by using your fingernail to break the suction cup's suction to the glass.

DO NOT TRY TO JUST PULL THEM OFF!!!!

This has been a Public Service Announcement by James.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the heads up!
I hope you weren't cut badly.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, not to bad luckily. It could have been a much worse cut.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never had that problem yet but i will say i recently tried a digital thermometer and will now only use those. I love the big digital face that's easy to read.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second the use of digital thermometers. I have used the glasses ones but never had one break. Glad your finger is ok.

plecodragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I once had an old glass thermometer that had a suction cup that was really suck to the glass, I pulled it too hard, the thermometer separated from the suction cup and fell into the tank. It shattered and let loose the red oily fluid which equaled an even quicker water change and gravel scoop to get rid of glass fragments. Glad you weren't hurt.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've broke them too. Glad the cut wasn't too bad. Be sure to use keep it clean.

Do they still put mercury in thermometers?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, I think most new thermometers are not mercury.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I may switch to digital lol

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with glass thermometers breaking. Once, I even had a full grown pleco attack the thermometer and unwedged it from it's mooring during the night. The next morning when I up, the thermometer was broke im half, all contents spilled into the water. The reason I know it was the pleco is because he had a cut in his sucker mouth.

After that I quit using glass thermometers. Currently I do have the stick on kind because the digital broke and I do not have the extra funds. I figure that the stick on kind are better than nothing. And, whether they are accurate or not doesn't matter to me because I know what "normal" readings are on my tanks.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All digital on mine. The Coralife digitals are like $6 each or something.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not sure about aquarium thermometers, but in medical thermometers, it's a liquid metal alloy, rather than mercury.

Thanks for the warning, Monmouth.
I have discovered the weighted versions of these thermometers, which just sit on the bottom of the aquarium. I like them a lot more. I can never get the suction cups to stick for long, and they always end up wedged under the filter or something.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I hope your wound heals quickly! ouch!

It's my understanding that Mercury is no longer used. Thermometers for aquarium use have to be aquarium safe and are now using an alcohol based product and not Mercury.

I also gave up the suction cups and simply place my thermometers in my filters. It gives a more accurate reading when there is a fresh flow of water over the thermometer compared to having it placed in the tank. Heat rises, so the temperature at the top of the tank may not be the same as the temperature at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the heads up Monmouth

Ken

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Slug said:
All digital on mine. The Coralife digitals are like $6 each or something.
I'll have to check this out. The last digital I bought was quite expensive.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are about $7.50 each from Dr F&S or a dollar less from Ken's Fish. I personally prefer Ken's fish to all. I think i've seen them at the local stores too, so you might want to check there to save on shipping.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't like the glass suction ones either. I didn't realize the digital ones were so reasonable!! Thanks Matt

Thanks too Monmouth for the alert! Well done!!

At present I am using one that hangs on the aquarium with a magnet. Kinda like those.... Depends on where you can find them, but can range from $3.00 to $4.00.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like those Kathy, they are accurate. I just have problems getting a good exact number from the red and small numbers hehe can't see them very well, thats why I like digital the most. I can look at the temp while i walk by the aquarium.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kathy, where do you find those. Digital are nice, but for some things I just prefer the old reliable meathods. Lime watches and thermometers. I have never owned a digital watch or clock. And the only digital thermometer in my house is our oral body temperature thermometer. I used to have a digital meat thermometer that was terribly inaccurate so I am hesitant to make the switch.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Monmouth,

Here is a link for them:
They have them listed at $2.06. That is cheaper than I had originally paid. The first one I got was at a LFS and it was $5.00. I loved it and found them online and ordered from a guy in Washington or Oregon for about $2.20 each.
This is his e-mail address and his name is Mark:

cmmiller4@comcast.net

If I can get ahold of him again, I am going to order some more from him. Extremely nice guy. Goes out of his way with service.

If he can't get them anymore, I will probably order them from here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/giant/517321.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom