Warmer Water And Activity Level? Question

1. Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

So I've read from a few different sources that having your aquarium water on the warmer end of the spectrum like 80-81F makes fish more active. I was wondering if there is any truth to this and scientifically why this happens..

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Fish are coldwater creatures. Their metabolism and other body functions are regulated by water temperature. I have kept Mollys from 16 Celsius all the way to 30. Never noted a mindblowing change in activity level but they were definitely more active and specially ate like mad pigs at 30 Celsius, the reason for this was that they process food faster at higher temperatures so they get hungry faster.
    Keeping fish at the very warm spectrum of their range will reduce their lifespan by the way.

3. Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Oh very interesting.. what about the energy part? Are they slightly more active because they are eating more?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I have seen very little change in activity levels, But livebearers and probably other fish too breed more often in warmer water because their breeding season is in the warmer months.

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends. If your Betta is kept at 78 Farenheit I doubt you will see much of a change. If your Betta is at 70 then yeah, youll probably see some change.

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Bettas like it hot.

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I know they like it hot. It was just to give an idea to the OP. I would never keep Bettas at 70. The lowest I would go with them is 22-23 and I will probably get bullied for saying that, but dont worry, I dont keep bettas currently!

8. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I guess it really depends on the preference of the fish. I've never really noticed any drastic changes, and I've mainly kept livebearers, tetras, and bettas. I keep bettas at 76F, by the way.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

coldblooded you mean ?
    It completely depends on the fishspecies and the oxygenation of the water.
    Some coldwater fish get sluggish in too warm water, but for instance my black skirts couldn't appreciate the plus of the heather pulled out.

Overall I think we keep.our fishies too warm (on a constant basis) and underestimate the importance of FLOW !!!!
    Mixing up water and bringing oxygen too all layers of the tank.

10. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yes lol, I meant coldblooded. Don't really know where coldwater came from.
    I agree that it seems the rule is to cook fish alive nowadays.

11. SunnyAde Member Member

Same here.