Warm Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Matthiasfanu, Apr 22, 2017.

1. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

So I just set up my new 40 gallon aquarium and I put my heater in (aqueoun 150w adjustable) and set it to 76. I have a digital thermometer with the probe inside the water and the prob is reading a constant 81-82 degrees. The thermometer strip on the outside also reads 82. I unplugged my heater to see if I could cool water down then plug it back in but it's not going down. My living room is not 82 degrees and no direct sunlight hits the tank to my knowledge. What is going on??

2. ChaoryValued MemberMember

It probably needs calibration. I don't know if you can manually calibrate it or not, but I have a Eheim jager and it comes with manual calibrating. Not also accurate, but a few times of calibrating, it should work.

If you can't calibrate it, then either get another heater or you can just keep it, and just go by the thermometer instead of what it is set to on the heater.

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

What kind of lighting do you have over the tank? I used to have a 10 gallon with two CFL bulbs in the hood, and without a cooling fan that tank would get in excess of 86 degrees.

4. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

I have a 24 in t-8 bulb I believe

5. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

I haven't been running it though. I even took the lid off my tank