Warm Water Nano Fish

1. chodovet

chodovet Valued Member Member

Hi, looking to stock my 10 gallon which currently just has 1 nerite snail in it - I had some disappointing luck when I first set it up last year and it's been pretty neglected for a while, but I recently have been working to get it back in good shape. It's real hot here in Texas and my house (and the tank) gets up to about 79 or 80 during the summer days so I need to find some fish that tolerate warm temperatures. I'm interested in small schooling fish - it looks like Ember Tetras may be the best bet for that high of a temp? Are there any others I haven't thought of? For bottom dwellers I'm thinking of shrimp because I don't know of any small fish that fit in a 10 gal and tolerate high temps - I didn't have much luck with Neocaridina shrimp the first time I tried (they all died slowly over about 3 weeks), but I would like to try them again. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    chodovet

Thanks, those both look like good options - though maybe slightly less commonly available than the Embers. Also I think Chili Rasboras are within that temp range? I really like the look of the green neons.

However, it seems that all of these fish prefer a slightly acidic pH. I know a stable pH is more important than hitting a perfect number, but how much of a problem for these fish will it be if my tank stays around 7.8? I use RO water so in theory I should be able to hit whatever pH I want (right?), but in practice in order to have my KH at what I've heard is "safe/stable" at about KH=4, the pH is about 7.6-7.8. I do plan to add some driftwood and I have almond leaves as well. Thoughts?

Also, any other options for additional warm-water fish that could live peacefully together with a school of tetras? I'm not sure if I will include any or just stick with one school. I think any catfish/Cory types are out because of space or temp requirements, but just want to be aware of all my options in case there's something I'm not thinking of.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Chili rasboras would be great.

7.8 should be fine for these fish.

You could add an endler or two along with the tetras.

Some different ideas. Single betta would work with no other fish, as would African dwarf frogs.
    Also take a look at rabbit snails. They are super cute and would be very happy at 80f.

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I agree with @BottomDweller, you could put in 2 endlers with the tetras. It'd look something like:
    6x Ember tetras (just using them as an example, any of the ones mentioned will work)
    2x endlers

7. Anders247

Agreed with BD.

8. OP
    OP
    chodovet

I have read in a few places that green neons may be less hardy or more picky on water parameters (like pH, hardness) than Embers? Perhaps this is a wild-caught vs. tank-bred issue? I am much more partial to the green/blue color than the red, though I think I'd be happy with either in the end. I just want them to survive!!

9. Anders247

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't as hardy.

10. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about Normans Lampeyes.