Warm Water Fish

StickyRice

I've looked everywhere online but I can't find any list which lists fish that can live in warm water. By warm water I mean upwards of 82 degrees to a maximum of 85 degrees. I'm trying to keep german blue rams and I want a dither fish, clean up crew, and algae eater. My original plan was to get neon tetras, panda cories, and bn plecos, which would've fulfilled all these criteria, but I was dissuaded because of the temperature difference.

I'm hoping that I will be able to get input from a lot of different people and their experiences.

Yeoy

I think Sterbai corydoras are the one most commonly used at high temperatures to go along with GBRs. I've seen a lot of people use cardinal tetras instead of neons in this circumstance too.

StickyRice

I think Sterbai corydoras are the one most commonly used at high temperatures to go along with GBRs. I've seen a lot of people use cardinal tetras instead of neons in this circumstance too.
I've heard sterbai's a lot but when I researched them, they showed up as 82 degrees. Same with the cardinals. Keep in mind I'll be keeping the tank at 85 degrees consistently during the summer.

CrackerboxPalace

You could do ~8 sterbai corys instead of panda cories, they like warm water. I don't know how big your tank is but presuming it's big enough, you could also add cardinal or rummynose tetras.

In terms of algae eaters, there are some warm water plecos like the L14 golden pleco, or the L46 zebra pleco.

Also, I wouldn't worry about what it says online on care sheets. One could say something completely different to another. Sterbais and cardinals are very commonly kept with discus at up to 90F.

StickyRice

You could do ~8 sterbai corys instead of panda cories, they like warm water. I don't know how big your tank is but presuming it's big enough, you could also add cardinal or rummynose tetras.

In terms of algae eaters, there are some warm water plecos like the L14 golden pleco, or the L46 zebra pleco.

Also, I wouldn't worry about what it says online on care sheets. One could say something completely different to another. Sterbais and cardinals are very commonly kept with discus at up to 90F.
I'm planning a 29 gallon tank and thanks for reassuring me with the 90F number although a little skeptical

I think I'll go with 6 sterbais, 12 cardinals, and two bn plecos.

CrackerboxPalace

Since it's only seasonal change, I especially wouldn't worry about it. Good to err on the side of caution though. :)

I think I'll go with 6 sterbais, 12 cardinals, and two bn plecos.
bristlenose plecos prefer cooler water, so it'd be best to pick another such as the ones I suggested.

Also since it's a 29 best to only get one.

StickyRice

bristlenose plecos prefer cooler water, so it'd be best to pick another such as the ones I suggested.

Also since it's a 29 best to only get one.
But the plecos that you mentioned wouldn't fit in my tank or are really expensive.

CrackerboxPalace

You could look for one like Hypancistrus contradens, it's a bit cheaper at around $20-50 and only grows to around 5 inches. Most plecos other than the rubberlips, commons and bristlenose are quite rare though, so you might have to order online and pay for shipping.

It would be best to add no pleco if a warm water one isn't feasible. It's not great to keep fish at their temperature extremes.

StickyRice

You could look for one like Hypancistrus contradens, it's a bit cheaper at around $20-50 and only grows to around 5 inches. Most plecos other than the rubberlips, commons and bristlenose are quite rare though, so you might have to order online and pay for shipping.

It would be best to add no pleco if a warm water one isn't feasible. It's not great to keep fish at their temperature extremes.
Thanks. After some consideration, I'm thinking bolivian rams instead of german. They're both pretty, but the bolivian likes cooler water, is more forgiving in terms of water quality, and is easier to keep. I'll have 6 panda cories, a pair of calico bristlenoses or just regular bristlenose plecos, and 12 neon tetras. Probably gonna keep them at 78 degrees in a 29 gallon. Hoping this is okay.

Edit: don't worry about the corydoras eating the eggs. I'll probably either divide the tank or put the eggs with the mom in a breeder box. I'm going to let them try and raise the eggs a couple of time but if they keep eating it after the third try, I'm just gonna raise them myself in a small container.

CrackerboxPalace

Should work well, I'd go down to 76F or so though. Plus you'll need to be big on water changes with two plecos.

StickyRice

Should work well, I'd go down to 76F or so though. Plus you'll need to be big on water changes with two plecos.
Yea 30 percent weekly is my goal. 50 percent once twice a month. Gonna have prefilter and try maxing out the aquaclear 50 in terms of media. Still going to keep it at 78 all year round.

Most heaters are preset at 78

CrackerboxPalace

Yea 30 percent weekly is my goal. 50 percent once twice a month. Gonna have prefilter and try maxing out the aquaclear 50 in terms of media. Still going to keep it at 78 all year round.
30% weekly won't be enough with two bn plecos, unless you have a whole bunch of plants and a highly established tank. Something more like 60% or more every week is much better.

how come you want to keep it at 78F?

StickyRice

30% weekly won't be enough with two bn plecos, unless you have a whole bunch of plants and a highly established tank. Something more like 60% or more every week is much better.

how come you want to keep it at 78F?
Because preset heaters are cheaper than the adjustable ones. Also, 78 is a really solid number for all of the fish I'm going to keep. High enough for the rams to feel comfortable but low enough that it won't make the other fish overheat. 78 is pretty much the perfect number in terms of Fahrenheit in this hobby. Also, the 29 is going to be heavily planted.

CrackerboxPalace

My bad, I've never even heard of preset heaters. 78 is an ok temperature, but ideally it would be at 73-75 which is more suitable for plecos, panda corys and neons.

For water changes, just test your water frequently to get an idea of how much you'll need to change. Even in my 10g heavily planted with two sparkling gourami, I change around 60% every week, just to be safe. Eventually you'll have two 5-6 inch plecos, plus all your other fish which is a very high bioload.

StickyRice

My bad, I've never even heard of preset heaters. 78 is an ok temperature, but ideally it would be at 73-75 which is more suitable for plecos, panda corys and neons.

For water changes, just test your water frequently to get an idea of how much you'll need to change. Even in my 10g heavily planted with two sparkling gourami, I change around 60% every week, just to be safe. Eventually you'll have two 5-6 inch plecos, plus all your other fish which is a very high bioload.
I'm pretty sure I'll be safe with 50+ stems of dwarf sag, moneywort, anubias, crypt, java fern, java moss, amazon sword, ludwigia, micro sword, rosette sword, and giant duckweed or amazon frogbit. Might even do duckweed and that should absolutely decimate nitrates.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
PBateman
Replies
Views