Warm Laptop

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just read an article saying that laptops are getting too warm and causing skin damage. MSNBC and CNN are suggesting putting the laptop bag or a towel over your lap to prevent this.

I just wanted to say if your put a towel over your lap then it will block the fan vents on the bottom and side of the laptop causing it to overheat. If your laptop is getting too hot get a lapdesk, a cooling pad, or call your laptop maker and get the heat sinks and fans replaced.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw that article yesterday. I was amazed..... and it made me wonder what kind of long-term effect this will have on the population decrease that will most likely occur in years to come, with all those young folks who now lounge on their beds with their computers sitting in their laps.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KewtyPatootie said:
I heard macbooks are an exception to this?
My finace has a macbook and it does not have fans at the bottom or the sides. It still gets pretty warm on the bottom though.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Acer EEE would get really hot because I'd have it in my lap all the time. Then it fried on me. Jaysee told me to get a Gateway because the vents are on the side. It's genius - it gets just a little bit warm, nothing like the Acer.

Rasbo_otto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a gateway laptop. So long as i dont set anyhting cold to my left, its fine. If I put a cold glass of water next the exhaust, it will be a warm glass of water ten minutes. Although I never place my laptop on my lap. I sit at a coffee table, on the floor, with the couch as my back. I also make sure to use a gas duster on my fans every month or so.

Please refrain from gas dusting while your computer is on.

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ive an acer aspire netbook and it can get quite warm at times, not sure what i could upgrade to ?

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Alienware laptop and after about 10 minutes of gaming you can cook a burger on the underside of it. I bought a laptop cooler so now it stays at about 140° F while gaming.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LyndaB said:
I saw that article yesterday. I was amazed..... and it made me wonder what kind of long-term effect this will have on the population decrease that will most likely occur in years to come, with all those young folks who now lounge on their beds with their computers sitting in their laps.
It doesn't cause sterility? It just gets warm. I've never had a computer get so warm it caused damage... One would think you would feel the heat and remove the computer before it did any harm. But it just gets really hot, doesn't do anything to affect reproduction.

Also, as a "young folk", I defend lounging with my laptop! I usually am doing homework, but don't want to sit at my desk because my bed is comfier. I always put my laptop on a textbook or other large hardcover book to allow for airflow underneath it

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

May I suggest using a breakfast tray? Why yes Ken, you may.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For laptops with a little age on them, it doesn't hurt to open the case and use compressed air (or air in a can, they make this just for this purpose), and blow out the insides of the laptop, primarily the processor/heat sink area, graphics card, fans, etc.

As dust accumulates it helps generate heat, this is especially important if you are in a house with smokers.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, most tech places will do it for a nominal fee.

Another good investment for a hot laptop is a laptop cooler, they carry these basically everywhere, even in stores like Big Lots. They are a plastic tray that sits under your laptop with 2 extra fans, it plugs into a USB connection and provides extra aeration and keeps the fan area on the laptop from getting smothered.

I've seen too many laptops overheat from people leaving them sitting on a bed, so making sure you place it in an area where it can get ventilation is very important.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom