Wanting to turn 30 Gal into Bare-bottom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Crissandra331, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

I have a 30 gallon I initially thought I wanted to put sand in, now I'm kind of leaning more towards a bare-bottom tank. I really love the look of them.

But before starting few questions came up that I figured I best get answered before I get started...

I know a lot of the beneficial bacteria is in the substrate. With a HOB filter, should I worry about a significant die off or issues maintaining a healthy bio-load with just the HOB Filter?

Also I want to have some plants in glasses, what is the best to plant them in? I have Fluorite already, would that work or would sand be better?

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you are thinking of a cool tank.
    With the BB issue, I would try to oversize the HOB, and also keep the stock levels down.
    This should maintain a perfectly good BB factory in the HOB.
    As for the Flourite /sand thing - why not use both in layers or something
    It would look like chocolate sundaes
    Good Luck

3. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Both my large tanks are bare bottom and I have no lack of BB issues.

4. Fishy Friends

Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

i have thought of a future tank with bare bottom - I will probably spray paint the outside bottom a sand textured color☺

5. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

Well I will probably upgrade the filter just to make sure I have the Filter capacity, maybe keep two running on the back till the new filter can get established. I have 2 Angels that are constantly breeding, reek havoc on my community, was wanting to put them in this tank, bare-bottom it to allow more space and also keep things a little cleaner...Hoping it could be a good breeding tank for them if I tailored it around their needs... Hopefully :;dk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice