Wanting To Switch Filters

mcdon1bl

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm currently using this filter ( ) and I don't think I like it. I still have a lot of debris in my tank even with the filter and siphoning. I'm wondering if folks have recommendations for filters? open to sponge or hob, I just don't want to have to change cartridges. I have a 10 gallon betta tank and ideally I'd like it to be adjustable!

If folks do have a recommendation, I'd love some insight into the process of changing filters.

Thanks!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
4 years
Sponge filters work best and are recommended for bettas because of the soft water flow. Plus sponges hold more BB and are easier to seed. Just put one in with the filter you have now and leave it for 3-4 weeks, then you can remove your old filter.

AmnScott

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Sponge filters work best and are recommended for bettas because of the soft water flow. Plus sponges hold more BB and are easier to seed. Just put one in with the filter you have now and leave it for 3-4 weeks, then you can remove your old filter.
I think the OP was asking for a specific filter. They already have a sponge filter, and it's not meeting their needs by the sounds of it.

I second the notion that you don't want a bunch of current in a Betta tank. They prefer somewhat stagnant water. A little current in part of the tank is okay, though.

A 10 gallon tank is (relatively) large for a betta tank so you could get away with using a Hang-on-the-back filter if you put it to one side of the tank. The AquaClear 20, for example, has an adjustable flow that can be turned down. When you turn the AC20 all the way down, the flow is quite calm, so it won't make much of a current. You can also baffle the the intake by putting a sponge pre-filter on the inlet to the filter.

AquaClear's are generally going to give you very efficient filtration. They are good at sucking up debris and have great mechanical filtration. Plus, the ceramic media that comes with them is great for Beneficial Bacteria.

The majority of my posts are praising AquaClear's, so I may be a little biased about them. But I use them on all of my tanks and they work great. I've been through a LOT of filters in the 5 years I've been in this hobby. Had the best luck with AC's.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel like this is a loaded question. What kind of debris are you referring to. Sponge filters are AMAZING and I have them on most of my tanks but they do not provide a lot of flow. Flow in a tank can help push debris around so its caught in the filter. But bettas generally don't like flow so its a vicious cycle.

I'd probably be more inclined to figure out what it is exactly you're noticing in terms of debris. Are you talking about left over food or poop?

Either one needs to be manually corrected. Even if its getting sucked into the filter its going to cause an ammonia issue if you do not do anything else for it.

If its extra food the simple answer is feed way less, if its poop then you may not be doing good enough water changes/gravel vacs. It takes a LONG time for a large amount of poop to accumulate from a betta in a 10g so I really believe it is likely over feeding.

Even if you switch to a HOB you're likely going to have to diffuse the flow which means you'll have the same issue, and you'll need to be rinsing your filter media to ensure its not in there.

I'd first try to address the issue with your tank, rinse the sponge filter in some tank water make sure its not clogged up, give it a good couple squeezes! Then make sure you address the cause of the debris. Most people switch from HOB to sponges, especially with bettas

AmnScott

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
e_watson09 said:
I feel like this is a loaded question. What kind of debris are you referring to. Sponge filters are AMAZING and I have them on most of my tanks but they do not provide a lot of flow. Flow in a tank can help push debris around so its caught in the filter. But bettas generally don't like flow so its a vicious cycle.

I'd probably be more inclined to figure out what it is exactly you're noticing in terms of debris. Are you talking about left over food or poop?

Either one needs to be manually corrected. Even if its getting sucked into the filter its going to cause an ammonia issue if you do not do anything else for it.

If its extra food the simple answer is feed way less, if its poop then you may not be doing good enough water changes/gravel vacs. It takes a LONG time for a large amount of poop to accumulate from a betta in a 10g so I really believe it is likely over feeding.

Even if you switch to a HOB you're likely going to have to diffuse the flow which means you'll have the same issue, and you'll need to be rinsing your filter media to ensure its not in there.

I'd first try to address the issue with your tank, rinse the sponge filter in some tank water make sure its not clogged up, give it a good couple squeezes! Then make sure you address the cause of the debris. Most people switch from HOB to sponges, especially with bettas
Good points. That is why I use sponge pre-filters. The fish waste (usually) gets stuck to the sponge versus going in the filter. Looking at the OP's filter, it doesn't look big enough for a 10G IMHO. I'm guessing that is the reason for collective waste on the gravel. That or they aren't doing enough vacuuming of the substrate.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
AmnScott said:
Good points. That is why I use sponge pre-filters. The fish waste (usually) gets stuck to the sponge versus going in the filter. Looking at the OP's filter, it doesn't look big enough for a 10G IMHO. I'm guessing that is the reason for collective waste on the gravel. That or they aren't doing enough vacuuming of the substrate.
It looks like 10g is the absolute biggest it is rated for but with sponge filters I also believe the size pump comes into play as well. The bigger the pump the more its going to suck up and such. Plus that looks like a very dense and thick sponge so I'd really bet its clogged up. I usually use a sponge filter that has two sponges on it that way it isn't as thick so the stuff gets sucked into it easier.

We just need a lot more information to really know if the filter is able to do the job or not :) Water change schedule, if over feeding is involved, when the sponge was cleaned last, etc :p

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I use a Top Fin Silentstream 20 in a 10g tank.

It has an adjustable flow knob, which is perfect for a betta.

If you go with that filter, I would suggest to consider to keep running the sponge filter to keep it cycled. That way you can remove it and drop it into a 5 gallon bucket for an instantly cycled temporary quarantine tank if you get new fish.

Also, just because a filter is made to use cartridges doesn't mean you have to only use cartridges.

The Silentstream 20 filtet I mentioned and the Silentstream 75 filter in our community tank were designed to use cartridges, though I use blocks of foam sponge as the main media in the reservoir and also use a pre-filter on the intake pipe. No cartridges for me.

Look for the sticky'd thread at the top of this section regarding how to add DIY media to your filter. It will walk you through all this.

New Threads