Wanting to start a new tank...Advice?

1. afwife07 Initiate Member

We have a 60 gal tropical tank, and I am wanting to start another tank. I am looking at Cichlids (I know there are tons and havent narrowed it down yet), and would like to know where I needed to start as far as getting a tank set up. I really want to avoid a huge tank, as we dont have room for another big one, but not sure a good size to start them in. Also, how hard is is to keep up care of two tanks? Thanks in advance for the info!

2. TayJay76 Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I have a 29 gallon tall tropical tank with two angelfish. They are awsome cichlids and dont require huge tanks. I wouldn't go higher than two in a 26 gallon. You can try to get a 37 gallon tall to keep three. A 29 gallon would work great for a couple of blue ram cichlids. They stay small and are very colorful fish. However, if you choose them make sure that you tank is fully cycled as they need an established aquarium to be easily maintained.

Honestly there are so many options. This sight has many articles on cichlids, you just need to get a good idea on how big of a tank you want, and then do research on cichlids that can be kept in the aquarium size that you choose. Some cichlids get huge and some stay small. The ones I listed don't get to big.

Having two tanks will be more demanding that having one in the sense that you have two tanks to maintain instead of one. Most people keep one or two tanks because that is all the time or money that they have to properly take care of the tanks that they have. If you work a lot, or have a some kids than maybe getting another tank will end up just being more of an overload for you. Other than that go for it, once you have decided on which tank size you want, then let us know so that we can give you more options. Good luck!

3. Walky Well Known Member Member

Are you thinking african cichlids or american cichlids? You'll probably want to decide this before a true minimum tank size can be given.

4. afwife07 Initiate Member

Ive always loved angels, and would love to have some. Just from looking around, I also like the jewel cichlids. Not sure if this is a doable combination though. I do have two daughters, and go to school(online for the time being) so i have time. My husband has kind of taken over care of the first tank (his project, and dream to have one!), so i plan for this one to be mine.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

I would recommend trying to get a 55g. It will be harder to maintain, but you can set out some time every week to take care of it. If you are worried about cleaning them you can put 3 fish a 55g (anglefish), and 3+- shrimp to help scavange some:).

A small side note, anglefish (chichillids), look amazing with babies swimming with them. Best of luck.

6. Walky Well Known Member Member

With cichlids its usually best to just choose one and go with that. Anglefish need tall tanks and room to swim. I wouldn't do more than one in a 29, but thats just me. A 45 or 55 gallon might be better and you could probably do 2 in the 45 or 3 in the 55, but you would want to be weary of them pairing off because they would become aggressive to the 3rd.

Taking care of two tanks shouldn't be too difficult, just keep a good schedule. You may want to look into getting a python water changer. I've heard they really speed things up, plus they eliminate buckets!

7. afwife07 Initiate Member

Ive never heard of the python water changer, but will look into it!

Do you all know anything about the Jewel Cichlids?

8. Lupinus Member Member

I'd get an idea what fish I wanted to go with and build the tank from that. Was fun explaining to the wife I needed another tank so soon lol

9. afwife07 Initiate Member

Yeah, Im trying to convince my hubby that same thing :)

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

There are cichlids called shell dwellers that can live in a 10g if space is limited. They live in shells and move them around daily.

11. TayJay76 Member Member

12. afwife07 Initiate Member

Hmm, thanks for that!

Could I do something like 2 Angels, a small pleco(and suggestions?) and a few shrimp? Or will this be a total disaster?

13. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

So this is a 29 gallon right?

A good small pleco is the Bristlenose Pleco. Normally grows to 5" or so inches.

Get 4 angels to start out. 2 female, 2 male. Wait until a pair forms and return the other two.

The shrimp might be a snack for the Angels so you're taking a risk.

Good luck!

14. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hi :) i would get the biggest one you can afford. you'll kick yourself if you don't. no matter if it's a 20g, or a 55g....you'll still have to maintain it, and maintaining a larger than isn't harder than a smaller one. though depending on how you change the water....buckets vs a phyton, that could matter!

cichlid wise....i just put a breeding pair of pink convicts, and 2 juvie firemouths in my 75g...and i'm really liking them so far. my first non dwarf cichlids. i like angels too....i have one, and i think that's good enough for me. haha.

africans are more aggressive generally....but more colorful. you kind of need to figure out what size tank you can get though :)

15. afwife07 Initiate Member

Id love to have another 60+. My uncle offered me his 75 gallon, but itd be a 6 hour drive one way and dont have a vehicle big enough!

Do I need to get a breeding pair or can I stick with the same sexes?

16. escapay Well Known Member Member

U-haul could be an option. I've rented a pickup truck from them because we needed to bring our new couch home. It worked out fantastic. My dad wouldn't let me borrow his truck, so I had to get the couch here somehow...

17. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

could your uncle meet you halfway? maybe see if you can borrow a truck/suv? a 75 would be awesome! you should def consider that. it's 4 ft long. so not huge...but you'd need something other than a car.

are you talking about the convicts? or the angels? i'm not completely sure how a same sex group would be...convict wise. all males would spell trouble i imagine. not sure if all females would be the same way or not.

18. afwife07 Initiate Member

Went to the lfs today and got a great deal on a 37 gal. I will be setting it up tonight! We will be moving this fall(hubbys careear) and will have more room, so may wait til then to get the 75 from my uncle.

Ive decided on just the 2 angels for the time being. Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the advice!

19. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

a 37 is a nice size. it is taller...so the angels will be ok. though if you get two males that could be an issue. i'm not sure completely though...but i thought they might fight. not sure if the same is true of two females. but just thought i'd throw that out there...

what are you going to use for substrate? real plants?

20. afwife07 Initiate Member

I bought a few fake plants, but looking into real ones. Not to sure on how hard upkeep will be for them though. The guy I talked to yesterday said keeping the same sex would be fine, but I think im going to do a little research into it myself.