Wanting to start a goldfish tank.

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Jonsson, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JonssonNew MemberMember

Hey guys, I have a few questions about starting a goldfish tank. I was wondering, what is a good size to house just one goldfish? Would it be okay if it was a bare bottom? What sort of kits do you guys use in testing your water? What filter would you guys suggest I get? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do this the way it should be done. Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum!

Different kinds of goldfish grow to different sizes. Fancy goldfish usually grow to around 6-8 inches, and IMO can live in a 29. However, after moving my gf to a much larger tank (90), it's quite apparent how confining the 29 was.

They like to suck up the substrate and spit it out looking for food, so barebottom tanks aren't a good idea. If you have some pebbles in a barebottom tank with a gf, you'll constantly hear it dropping them on the glass.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Jonsson and Welcome to Fish Lore,

According to your profile information you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle. Here are a few links for you that will come in handy. Learning about the nitrogen cycle is crucial to fish keeping:
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/48446-four-methods-fish-less-cycling.html

I use the API (liquid) Master Test Kit as mentioned by above posters. Paper strips used to test can be inaccurate so the liquid test kits are best.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/goldfish/11540-goldfish-caresheet.html

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Hi Jonsson :)
    Welcome to fishlore.

Typically for goldfish you want to allow at least 20 gallons for the first goldfish and then 10 gallons for each additional fish.
    However you need to keep in mind the two different types of goldfish. Commons vs Fancy.
    Common (feeder) goldies can get over a foot long and can really get some speed going. For them it's always a good idea to give them more then the stocking ratio above. Also just due to their size they really do better in ponds rather then tanks.
    Fancy goldies (the egg shaped ones) don't get as long as the commons but due to their "squished" digestion tract they can't digest food as effectively so shouldn't be over stocked either. However Fancy goldies will work fine in an aquarium, I have 3 in my 56 gallon currently.

Bare bottom vs gravel vs sand is mostly going to be up to you. Personally I have a bare bottom tank with some river rock in the corners just for decorative purposes. My goldies are completely happy with it they'll bounce around the river rock and look for any food that might have gotten in there, then they'll go "vaccum" the glass in hopes that they missed something there as well :p

Just remember to cycle your tank before you get you goldies. I lost 1 of my first goldies (and almost the 2nd) when my 56 went through a mini cycle, and it was only the two of them in there. They were pretty small to.

Good Luck :D

6. OP
    OP
    J

JonssonNew MemberMember

Thanks for the info. So, would it be okay if I put one common goldfish in a 20 gallon? I just want to go with one for now because I want to make sure I can do it right before I go out and purchase a big set up with more goldies.

7. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

1 common in a 20 gal long would be ok for a little while but goldies grow pretty fast. A 20 gal would be pretty tight eventually. However 1 fancy would be great in that set up.

8. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

The smallest I would recommend for any goldfish would be a 40 gallon. I know, that sounds like a big tank for just one fish, but they do like to swim and they do get big. With a 40 gallon breeder tank (long and wide but not too tall) you could have two fancies and they would do well. Or you could have one common for a while but it would eventually out grow the 40 gallon for swim room.

9. OP
    OP
    J

JonssonNew MemberMember

Well, I don't have the room for a 40 gallon. A 20 gallon is all I could get for now. What fish would you recommend I put in there? I wouldn't want to put to many in there. I was also wondering about live plants. Ive tried them before and they didn't seem to work out. How do I keep them alive? Do I have to keep the light on all the time. Could you make any suggestions for simple plants to care for?

10. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure on the plants...I have fakes lol. But for fish...if were talking goldfish...you could put a Lionhead in there, I've never seen them over 7 inches before. It would do fine by itself in the 20gal. But for goldfish in general your only looking at keeping one in a 20gal.

11. Betta Whisperer

Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

I have nothing to add except read my signature.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  12. shellbell4everWell Known MemberMember

I currently have 2 fancy s in (2) 20 gallon tank's... but plan on upgrading to a 55 this summer :) And they are fat and happy and thriving :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice