Wanting to start a 20 long brackish

reillyp

HI guys I recently got a 20 long and thought about making it a brackish tank!
I was inspired by

I have a few questions as I have only ever done freshwater
First of all, what tools do I need? Something to read salt water?
Is that tank overstocked in that video because I love his stocking and would like to do something just like that?
How big will a puffer get? I would like a figure 8 or fakka puffer
What plants can survive in the brackish? I love plants
Could I have any shrimp in there ?
Any specific foods I should keep for brackish fish ?
Would a puffer wipe a tank of snails or could I just have the snails grow in the tank and they would reproduce?

Thanks so much guys!

qchris87

Refractometer is what you want to measure salinity. They are accurate unlike hydrometers.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan09/figurepuffer.htm
For your puffer questions.

I'm not too sure about brackish plants. I heard Anacharis and Anubis are salt tolerant. May have to double check that.

If you were to get an F8 puffer, he will most like eat the shrimp. Ghost shrimp can live in brackish water.

Most puffers are wild caught, they usually eat whenever they can. I would start a snail tank, doesn't have to be big, I use a 1 gal mason jar with a sponge filter.

declaringhornet

Nice tank

reillyp

reillyp

Refractometer is what you want to measure salinity. They are accurate unlike hydrometers.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan09/figurepuffer.htm
For your puffer questions.

I'm not too sure about brackish plants. I heard Anacharis and Anubis are salt tolerant. May have to double check that.

If you were to get an F8 puffer, he will most like eat the shrimp. Ghost shrimp can live in brackish water.

Most puffers are wild caught, they usually eat whenever they can. I would start a snail tank, doesn't have to be big, I use a 1 gal mason jar with a sponge filter.
thanks for the advise, I plan to try cycling the tank with freshwater and just make it brackish when ready, is that okay?

qchris87

I would cycle with the tank already brackish. I believe that it will take a long time to acclimate bb from freshwater to brackish.

Sarcasm Included

You don't need to acclimate archaea(what is mistakenly referred to as bb) to low brackish water, it will be fine till you get over 1.008 S.G., at which point it stops reproducing and will be replaced by a saltwater species.

Flowingfins

A note on the fahaka- they need a 250G tank, so they are out. They also need to be fed large clams and shrimp. I have no idea on plants, but I think ghost shrimp and nerite snails can live in brackish.

Sarcasm Included

Actually, nerite and ghost shrimp use brackish water to breed. Nerites need medium to high brackish to breed, and it is best to transfer the eggs to full marine water. Not sure on ghost shrimp conditions, never tried them.

Flowingfins

Didn't know that That's pretty cool.

Big Red

Also a fahaka is strictly freshwater.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MrBryan723
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27