Wanting to Hear from those who've dealt w/ Septicmia

1. Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

I'm having a really hard time making a decision on what to do about Swazy my Angelfish who I suspect has Septicemia. I'm looking to hear from people who have dealt with in whether it was successful or not. I've never had to euthanize a fish so I'm trying to look into all my options before it's to late. Everything I have read thus far has been failed attempts to treat. If there is a certain medication that worked well for you please speak up.... All advice is appreciated
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before

I got her from a LFS that had her in horrible conditions gill rotted out completely, pelvic fin kinked from cramped spaces. All my other Angelfish outgrew her quickly but she always stayed fairly small. The 2 pictures above are of her in the last few days while the bottom pictures from July.

I'm having a really hard time coming to terms with possibly having to euthanize her.

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

That was really depressing!!! Something I needed to read though. As far as I have read septicemia is incurable, and I know how dedicated she is to her fish, so if she's been unsuccessful that makes me less hopeful. I would much rather Swazy go as peacefully as possible while in some-what decent health. I don't want to wait till dropsy and ulcers and other horrid symptoms arise. It's just so hard looking in her eyes knowing what I'm going to do to her:( Feel like I'm losing a member of the family. One side is not wanting her to suffer and another side is who am I to say who lives & dies and how? And then the other side is who am I to keep a fish a glass container and speak at all!
    Hate this feeling!

:;dk

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Crissandra, it's a very difficult thing to do, you may try having a family member assist in the process. :(

5. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Sadly I'm on my own with this one. My mom already said she can't watch, my only fish-friend JUST had a baby either way she's a bigger wimp than my mom lol. I think I can do it. Just because it's something that needs to be done and if I have all the information available its for the best and the most dignified way to do so. At least there will be a familiar face there with her. Gonna be weird waking up in the morning and not seeing a big white blob floating around in my main tank. She was so white you could see her with the lights off. Very sweet fish. Been through a lot just wish she could live a more full life.

6. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Cris, please remember that you DID save her from that LFS and gave her a beautiful home. You have done and will continue to do the right thing, do what your heart tells you and then you'll know it was what was best.

7. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Tricane powder is very effective, you can see if a local Koi/pond store carries it.