wanting to grow algae

1. cheese Member Member

hi there :) I wanted to grow some algae onto stones and ornaments for my aquariums. I know sunlight encourages algae growth, but what else contributes to it? could I put a 1 gallon bowl with water and stones in the window and just wait? does it need an air stone or a filter in the tank to make the algae grow, or for the algae to be safe to put in the tank? it seems like it should be simple, but I shouldn't assume it's as easy as just sticking water in the sunlight lol :) thanks for your help :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

You can buy Algae Waffers, or you can allow sunlight to reach at your tank.

3. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Unless you plan on cleaning the tank, I would suggest so kind of water movement to keep it from stinking ;)

4. cheese Member Member

hmm okay...so an air stone for water movement so I don't get yucky water? is that all I need to do? sunlight? should I do something to kick start the algae growth? also would a plastic 1 gal bowl work? or should I use something glass? does it need to be covered?

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

IME, no it doesn't need to be covered, and placing it where it gets sunlight is good as long as its not direct.

6. cheese Member Member

no direct sunlight? I'm only putting decorations in the tank, no fish or snails or anything. isn't direct sunlight what grows the algae? there's a spot on 1 of my tanks that gets direct sunlight and it has a lot of algae lol

7. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Oh yes, sorry . Direct is actually what you need to grow algae faster. Sorry about that.

8. cheese Member Member

that's okay :) thanks

9. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'm doing the same with a jar, I put in some floating plants recently and a shell that had algae in it already, but algae will grow either way. Just leave in somewhere that gets direct sunlight and you'll see algae within a week

10. cheese Member Member

thanks :) hope I get green algae instead of brown, but either way it doesn't really matter lol

11. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Mine turned out green :)