Wanting to add Tiger Barbs

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 27 gal. tank currently with some baby platys, a clown loach, an angel fish and two Chinese algae eaters. When i get rid of the platys, I will move the angel to my 33 gal. and I was thinking of turning the 27 gal. into a barb tank or something else. I would add tiger barbs, and cherry barbs. If anyone could give some advice or suggestions, please share. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The barb tank would be very pretty, did want to mention however that the clown Loach will do better with more of his kind and in a very short time (months) wil need a much bigger tank.
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it has been on it's own for about 3-4 months now and it seems fine. Also, it hasn't grown at all since I got it. I know after a few more years it will grow. Thanks anyways.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at the store today and saw the green tiger barbs, the regular tiger barbs, and the albino tiger barbs. I was thinking of originally adding 6 tiger barbs. Would the green/albino tiger barbs do well with the regular tiger barbs or is it the same as having two different colored platys? Please advise. Thanks.
Tom

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't keep cherry barbs and tiger barbs together. Cherry barbs are peaceful fish, but tiger barbs are semi-aggressive.

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi! i too am waiting for a tank to cycle before i can stock it full of barbs!

i have read that odessa barbs are pretty agressive fish (and pretty too), i plan on stocking about 4 to match the school of 6 or 7 tiger barbs. when i was setting up my 10 gal i had planned on using dwarf puffers and tiger barbs and had been told that the different kinds of tiger barbs would interact regardless of being albino, green or regular... i did not find this to be the case. i had 3 green tiger barbs and an albino and the albino was definitely ignored by the group. she was a slightly different shape (more slender) and this may have had something to do with it. i am inclined to believe that with more albino barbs in the tank they would have formed a more consistent school. sadly all but one survived (had an ammonia spike when i accidently put the wrong stuff in the water :S) - he will be moved to the 47gal tank when it is ready.

TigerBarb27

Reaction score
Tiger barbs,albino tiger barbs,and green tiger barbs are the same species,so they will school together.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I kept 3 Green and 2 regular Tigers for a couple years. They all swam and fought together. No regard for color.

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my 5 barbs are always chasing eachother and actually eat food off my finger there cool but as you and most people know there fin nippers be careful. also ive heard something about keeping them in odd numbers so one of them always gets to rest while the others are playing "tag"

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wolfgang8810 said:
my 5 barbs are always chasing eachother and actually eat food off my finger there cool but as you and most people know there fin nippers be careful. also ive heard something about keeping them in odd numbers so one of them always gets to rest while the others are playing "tag"
I guess that theory makes a little sense, but what happens when you get 2 fish against the one fish?
Tom

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hmm you make a good point. maybe the resting one is ready to start the chase again? i havent noticed any 2 on 1 action with mine but i'm pretty new

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom