Wanting to add more fish to my 55 gallon, Do I have room?

Jdoherty12

I currently Have
6 black skirt tetras
5 rosy barbs
6 zebra danios
5 kuhli loaches
1 BN pleco
around 9-10 plants and will be adding more this weekend
(all fish in tank are about a year old)

I have one black BN at the moment that is about 2 inches maybe 2.5 (runs every time I get close lol). I believe it is a female since there is no sign of spikes yet but still might be early. I’m wanting to add another different color BN to the tank and have 2 total. Any suggestions on the best way to do this or what kind of pleco to look for?

So to update my post with my current stock does anyone have any suggestions of a good centerpiece fish that would mix in with my tank. I will be adding a few loaches, and another pleco to the list

Freshfishguy

I have one black BN at the moment that is about 2 inches maybe 2.5 (runs every time I get close lol). I believe it is a female since there is no sign of spikes yet but still might be early. I’m wanting to add another different color BN to the tank and have 2 total. Any suggestions on the best way to do this or what kind of pleco to look for?
Should be totally fine with 2 BN plecos in your 55g, assuming it isn’t already overstocked to begin with. I think the albino/orange long fin BN are really cool, and you can find them online. Online is your best bet for looking for a specific morph. I’d recommend Aquatic Arts, they usually have various types of BN.

I currently Have
6 black skirt tetras
5 rosy barbs
6 zebra danios
5 kuhli loaches
1 BN pleco
around 9-10 plants and will be adding more this weekend
(all fish in tank are about a year old)

I Want
2-3 more loaches
Another pleco or a school of ottos
A centerpiece fish or another school of fish

I change the water weekly at about 20-25% and the water is filtered by a marineland penguin 350 (made for 75 gal)

Do I have room in your opinion for a few, all, none of the wants?
If I do have room for more fish do you have any suggestions?
Yeah you have room. I would recommend the centerpiece because you already have several different schools in the middle of the water column, and adding another school could make things look too busy (if they aren’t already lol). You want 2-3 more kuhli loaches right? With any centerpiece fish, be mindful that because you have a smaller school of black skirts, they can get nippy and so you want to choose your centerpiece accordingly (no long flowing fins). A good bottom dwelling centerpiece or a more top layer centric centerpiece would probably be the best move.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

Should be totally fine with 2 BN plecos in your 55g, assuming it isn’t already overstocked to begin with. I think the albino/orange long fin BN are really cool, and you can find them online. Online is your best bet for looking for a specific morph. I’d recommend Aquatic Arts, they usually have various types of BN.
Okay if it ends up being a male do you think I would run into the issue of agression if I happen to get another male? also current tank stock is
6 tetras
5 rosy barbs
6 danios
5 kuhli loaches
1 pleco

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

I would say you have plenty of room for all of those. Im ALWYAS gonna suggest a angel or 2 for a good center peice(they so pretty) but you could also do some other dwarf cichlids(there always eye caching) I would go with the ottos, to add veriety(its up to you the kuhlis are the sweetest things) I do not think any fish has a vendetta against kuhlies. (I there is i dont like them)

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

Yeah you have room. I would recommend the centerpiece because you already have several different schools in the middle of the water column, and adding another school could make things look too busy (if they aren’t already lol). You want 2-3 more kuhli loaches right? With any centerpiece fish, be mindful that because you have a smaller school of black skirts, they can get nippy and so you want to choose your centerpiece accordingly (no long flowing fins). A good bottom dwelling centerpiece or a more top layer centric centerpiece would probably be the best move.
yes with me only having 5 loaches i would love a few more and also another BN pleco. In your opinion do you still think that leaves enough room for a centerpiece fish?

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Okay if it ends up being a male do you think I would run into the issue of agression if I happen to get another male? also current tank stock is
6 tetras
5 rosy barbs
6 danios
5 kuhli loaches
1 pleco
No I don’t think there will be issues. And yeah you definitely have room for a centerpiece and more kuhlis. The floor space on your tank should be enough to give them both room. I would have a separate cave/hideout on each side of the tank to be safe, but I don’t anticipate any issues. I don’t think an Angel would be compatible with your skirt tetras especially given that they are in a smaller school and thus can be nippy.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

I would say you have plenty of room for all of those. Im ALWYAS gonna suggest a angel or 2 for a good center peice(they so pretty) but you could also do some other dwarf cichlids(there always eye caching) I would go with the ottos, to add veriety(its up to you the kuhlis are the sweetest things) I do not think any fish has a vendetta against kuhlies. (I there is i dont like them)
I was also thinking getting an angelfish as the centerpiece because they were actually the first fish I wanted when I built my tank. Ya i love my loaches so much there so weird its awesome so I have to get a few more
No I don’t think there will be issues. And yeah you definitely have room for a centerpiece and more kuhlis. The floor space on your tank should be enough to give them both room. I would have a separate cave/hideout on each side of the tank to be safe, but I don’t anticipate any issues. I don’t think an Angel would be compatible with your skirt tetras especially given that they are in a smaller school and thus can be nippy.
Ya thats kind of why I stayed away of an angel at first was because of the worry of black skirts being nippy with them. I just want that one fish to really bring the tank home but am having trouble finding that fish. I was thinking maybe a pearl gourami

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Ya kuhlies are the BEST. you can acturlly see eggs thought one of mine skin(I hope she doesn't lay them my mystery snail will snach them) They just cute little squiglies. Im gonna get a couple angelfish in a couple months. there are so many they are nothing but grace, and there protective of there young! When I learn abought that, i realized that a literal fish is a better parent than my parents!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

When it comes to plecos 2 males may or may not get along. 2 females should be fine together. If you end up with a male and a female you will eventually have to decide what to do with all the babies. :D They can easily produce a hundred or more each month once they reach breeding age.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

When it comes to plecos 2 males may or may not get along. 2 females should be fine together. If you end up with a male and a female you will eventually have to decide what to do with all the babies. :D They can easily produce a hundred or more each month once they reach breeding age.
If my current pleco is about maybe 2-2.5 inches is it to early to tell if it is male or female? It has no bristles on its head. If it has the chance of being a male would buying a larger pleco that is for sure a female cause any issues since it would be 1-2 inches bigger?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If my current pleco is about maybe 2-2.5 inches is it to early to tell if it is male or female? It has no bristles on its head. If it has the chance of being a male would buying a larger pleco that is for sure a female cause any issues since it would be 1-2 inches bigger?
How long have you had this little one? Elbert was with me for about 6 months before his bristles started showing up. He was super tiny when I first got him and was about 3" long at 6 months. Elbert bred with a little super red female. He is about 5 1/2 inches. She was only about 3 inches. I don't know if it would make a difference if the female was bigger than the male.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

How long have you had this little one? Elbert was with me for about 6 months before his bristles started showing up. He was super tiny when I first got him and was about 3" long at 6 months. Elbert bred with a little super red female. He is about 5 1/2 inches. She was only about 3 inches. I don't know if it would make a difference if the female was bigger than the male.
I got it in September of last year and it was probably about a half inch then. So it is about 8 months since I got it and its probably id say about 2.5 inches. There is no sign of bristles and it is at least 10 months old but Id say it probably closer to a year. I can take a picture when I get off work if it will stop moving lol

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I got it in September of last year and it was probably about a half inch then. So it is about 8 months since I got it and its probably id say about 2.5 inches. There is no sign of bristles and it is at least 10 months old but Id say it probably closer to a year. I can take a picture when I get off work if it will stop moving lol
Definitely sounds like you have a female. If it were male you should be seeing at least the start of bristles around the mouth. Elbert's started there. At first just little nubs so I wasn't sure he was a little boy. I still called him Ellie Mae. Once they started getting longer and they started growing up his face I knew for sure he wasn't an Ellie Mae :D In case you've not realized it. That is Elbert over there in my avatar. He is about 6 years old now.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

Definitely sounds like you have a female. If it were male you should be seeing at least the start of bristles around the mouth. Elbert's started there. At first just little nubs so I wasn't sure he was a little boy. I still called him Ellie Mae. Once they started getting longer and they started growing up his face I knew for sure he wasn't an Ellie Mae :D In case you've not realized it. That is Elbert over there in my avatar. He is about 6 years old now.
Geez thats awesome! I cant wait for mine to be that big for now "she" is still so tiny lol. Ill upload a picture tonight and see if someone can confirm but if that is the case then any BN should be just fine then.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Geez thats awesome! I cant wait for mine to be that big for now "she" is still so tiny lol. Ill upload a picture tonight and see if someone can confirm but if that is the case then any BN should be just fine then.
Your little girl may or may not get that big. I have one little girl that is about 2 years old. She is only 1 1/2 inches long and that includes the tail. She was the runt of the spawn between Elbert and my little super red female, Evelyn. BTW: Little Red is only 3 maybe 3.5 inches long. How big your little girl will get depends on her parents.

Evelyn and Little Red, my super red male produced 2 spawns. I ended up with well over 200 fry. They bred once and before I realize it was happening they spawned again. Little Red was removed from the tank before they could give me even more. Sadly, shortly after that I lost Evelyn. I have no idea as to why. She seemed fine at bedtime and was floating the following morning. I still have bunches of their fry that I really need to take to my local fish store and soon. I need to do it before they start giving me babies :D

Right, if this is a little girl and it seems she is, there should be no problem adding another one. Just be prepared for fry if you end up with a male.

Upvote 0

Jdoherty12

Your little girl may or may not get that big. I have one little girl that is about 2 years old. She is only 1 1/2 inches long and that includes the tail. She was the runt of the spawn between Elbert and my little super red female, Evelyn. BTW: Little Red is only 3 maybe 3.5 inches long. How big your little girl will get depends on her parents.

Evelyn and Little Red, my super red male produced 2 spawns. I ended up with well over 200 fry. They bred once and before I realize it was happening they spawned again. Little Red was removed from the tank before they could give me even more. Sadly, shortly after that I lost Evelyn. I have no idea as to why. She seemed fine at bedtime and was floating the following morning. I still have bunches of their fry that I really need to take to my local fish store and soon. I need to do it before they start giving me babies :D

Right, if this is a little girl and it seems she is, there should be no problem adding another one. Just be prepared for fry if you end up with a male.
Okay got it thanks for the advice! I will be picking up another this weekend then lol. Now to find a centerpiece fish to add to the community!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Can I add more?
Replies
Views
samanther98
Replies
Views
altermac
  • Question
Replies
Views