wanting to add cichlids 55 Gallon Tank 

CuriousFishKeeper

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, i have a 55 gallon tank with barbs, gouramis, danios, yo yo loaches, and a rainbow shark. I was wanting to add 1 cichlid to my tank. These are the types of cichlids i am able to get close by (only listing the south american because i have always heard they were the most peaceful).

Green Terror, Midas, Managuense, Red Devil, Jack Dempsey, Blood Red Parrot, Black Convict, Turquoise Severum, Firemouth, and Angels of course.

It is also a planted tank, so i dont want them to hurt the plants. If their is any on the list that does good with these fish please tell me.

Thanks.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, Welcome to Fishlore! Out of the Cichlids you've named either Angels, or possibly a Firemouth might work ok in your tank. Most of the others will just eat your other fish and rip your plants up!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore. Good avice from Nick.

Just to add that the Angels might not be a good choice either depending on what type of Barbs you have. If they are Tiger Barbs then I would say they are too nippy & will tear up the Angels fins. Most of the other Barbs would probably be ok with Angels though. The Firemouth would be my choice or perhaps you can see if your LFS will order a Keyhole for you. The Severum might do ok but will probably get driven nuts by the Danios & the Yoyo Loaches. As Nick said most of the other will just maul your other fish & plants. Most of the fish on your available list are actually really aggressive.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well if you are willing to consider smaller african river cichlids, I keep my Kribensis cichlids with rosy and tiger barbs and they all get along great.

+1 on the aggressives. The first seven fish you listed are fairly aggressive.

CuriousFishKeeper

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am willing to try any cichlid that is possible if I can find it so if their are any others that I can look out for I would be happy to know those too. thanks for all the help so far though.

CuriousFishKeeper

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i looked and all the other cichlids their are Kenyi, Labidochromis, Jewel, Electric Blue (not sure the exact species), Zebra, Bumblebee, Auratus, and Acei Cichlids. When I say close by, I really mean the closest store, an hour and a half away, so I will still be happy to hear any other sugestions, but this may be the only ones I will get to look at.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really probably don't want to put the african lake cichlids into your tank with what you have in there, they are pretty aggressive too. See if they have Kribensis or Kribs, if you only get one they are fine in a community tank. If you end up with a male female pair they can be aggressive during spawning, but 55 gallons should give them plenty of space. Males only get about 3 to 4 inches.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CuriousFishKeeper said:
i looked and all the other cichlids their are Kenyi, Labidochromis, Jewel, Electric Blue (not sure the exact species), Zebra, Bumblebee, Auratus, and Acei Cichlids. When I say close by, I really mean the closest store, an hour and a half away, so I will still be happy to hear any other sugestions, but this may be the only ones I will get to look at.
welcome to fishlore!!!
I agree with treefork..NO africans can go in with what you have now they will tear up those fish and are a species only tank.......I like the firemouths, angels(if your barbs arent tigers), 1 jd or kribs....

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll throw in Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams & Apistos as well.

If the Danios are Zebra Danios or similar sized Danios I don't think they would survive long with a Jack Dempsey though. They would be seen as food. If they are Giant Danios though they would be fine with a JD.

CuriousFishKeeper

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the help. I will look and see if they will order a Krib or Ram for me, if not, hopefully the Firemouth will do ok.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you considered blood red parrots, they would go great with what you have in the tank, check them out under the hybrid section of fresh water fish
I love mine

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CuriousFishKeeper said:
These are the types of cichlids i am able to get close by (only listing the south american because i have always heard they were the most peaceful).

Green Terror, Midas, Managuense, Red Devil, Jack Dempsey, Blood Red Parrot, Black Convict, Turquoise Severum, Firemouth, and Angels of course.

It is also a planted tank, so i dont want them to hurt the plants. If their is any on the list that does good with these fish please tell me.

Thanks.
Out of the ones you listed only the Green Terror, Sev, and Angel are South American.

Most cichlids are going to eat and or move plants enough to ruin them anyways, but there are a few that won't.

Out of the options given your best bets would probably be the Kribs, Rams, or Keyholes.
The Green Terror, Jaguar, Red Devil, Convict, and more than likely also the Jack Dempsey will kill all your community fish so you probably will want to stay away from those, also same goes for the Africans (with the Krib being the exception).

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads