Wanting outside opinions on my betta- making sure all is well.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Joey the betta lives in a 10 gallon tank with pygmy cories, snails, and shrimp. He's a very good dude. This evening the incredibly smart boy swallowed an entire shrimp pellet. A+, good job bud. He's feeling it now... the only really concerning thing is he was sitting on his rock and kind of listing to the side... only for a few seconds at a time and he's swimming just fine in between. So I just wanna make sure he'll be okay, or at least there's nothing else I can do at this point.
The only other thing, as I was examining him post-gorge, I was noticing changes in his tail. His tail/caudal fins are now shorter and blunter than the dorsal and analfins. I think this is actually because the dorsal and analfins have grown- there's long, wispy dark points on them that I think I've been noticing growing before. The longer I looked, though, the more I was worried there was perhaps some fin biting happening on his tail, or even fin rot.
Also, as I write this, he is zooming around hunting more shrimp pellets.
Tank was fully cycled when he arrived, he's been in since May 1. Params are 0/0/10-20, 79F, pH 7.8-8.0, moderate-hard hardness (I can't recall the numbers atm), 50% WC every week, conditioning using prime, tropica liquid ferts, moderately planted, sponge filter, he eats a varied diet with bug bites as a staple.
The first two photos are the ones I just took tonight, I apologize for the bad lighting.
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.54.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.54.34 PM.png

This is the day he came home, May 1
IMG_4333.JPG

Here's his tail May 10th
IMG_4952.JPG

And May 20th..
IMG_4962.JPG

...And July 5th
IMG_5924.JPG

And here's earlier today in better lighting, when I wasn't seeing an issue
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 12.03.16 AM.png

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He does appear to be bloated and have some fin rot going on. Although, black tips is also a coloring morph, your bettas fins have gotten shorter, a sign of fin rot. Do you provide any Tannin tea? If not, i would start dosing his tank heavily with Tannin. Bettas natural habitats are blackwater filled with tannin. Tanninaquatics has amazing botanicals. I would start with extra water changes to prevent any more rotting. Also, concentrate the water with tannin, either from Rooibos tea or Indian Almond leaves.

For the bloating, fast him for 3 days to make sure he can fully digest that pellet. I would also do a water change, clean water helps everything. There is also a 50% chance of prolapse as well. Always caused by pressure from pushing while constipated. If he happens to prolapse, do an instant water change daily till it goes away. Prolapse can resolve on its own but can become permanent.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll fast and get some tannins in there for sure. Man... I don't even understand how I could end up with fin rot! I've tested water at LEAST once a week, usually 2 or 3 times, obsessively pretty much, since he came home (and always had good results.) and been up on my WC's religiously. I'm feeling like HOW COULD IT HAPPEN TO ME??

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
I'll fast and get some tannins in there for sure. Man... I don't even understand how I could end up with fin rot! I've tested water at LEAST once a week, usually 2 or 3 times, obsessively pretty much, since he came home (and always had good results.) and been up on my WC's religiously. I'm feeling like HOW COULD IT HAPPEN TO ME??
Bettas are very prone to fin rot and fin nipping themselves. My betta had it very mildly at first but I turned him setup to blackwater and he hasn't had a problem since! Just some extra water, added Tannins and minimal stress should help the fin rot heal.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Bettas are very prone to fin rot and fin nipping themselves. My betta had it very mildly at first but I turned him setup to blackwater and he hasn't had a problem since! Just some extra water, added Tannins and minimal stress should help the fin rot heal.
I sure hope that's all it takes to turn it around! I can buy IAL tomorrow (my shrimp just finished up my last one), I have oak leaves for my frogs here though, would those be beneficial?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
I sure hope that's all it takes to turn it around! I can buy IAL tomorrow (my shrimp just finished up my last one), I have oak leaves for my frogs here though, would those be beneficial?
Yes oak leaves will work as well, just make sure you boil them well

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
I also have a 5 gallon shrimp tank that's accidentally crazy blackwater from the driftwood I use in it. Would he maybe be happier in there?
I wouldn't move him from a big 10gal to a smaller 5gal. It will just add unnecessary stress. If anything , just make his tank blackwater as well.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Blueberrybetta said:
I wouldn't move him from a big 10gal to a smaller 5gal. It will just add unnecessary stress. If anything , just make his tank blackwater as well.
Ok. thanks for all your help. ooooof it's a bad time for redmare.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The wood I put in there is really doing its job! There’s a noticeable difference in the water already. I tested pH, hardness, and the normal parameters before I put them in so I can make sure there’s no pH crash or something. Joey is spunky as ever.. he saw me taking photos and came right up to beg for food and look adorable.
F8F22DD8-93E8-4917-AD97-F8AC4A7D12F5.jpeg

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Although here's my issue- on Tuesday I have to go out of town for about 10 day, possibly up to 2 weeks. My dad will be here to do simple things like feed and make sure the tank doesn't leak, but I certainly can't ask him to do whole water change thing. I'm thinking of setting up a big jug or few jugs of water, and maybe he could take out and replace like a scoop of water every day? Does that make any sense? Also, I'm gonna put food in a pill box, very sparingly (a small amount for him and the cories every 3rd day). Is there anything else I can do to make sure all is well while I'm on the road?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It almost looks like fin curling rather than fin rot. With rot, regrowth will be very light colored (then it gains color after the fin ray and webbing grows in). With curling the fin ray breaks and the fin heals crooked because it heals at the break in the ray instead of straightening out like a broken bone.

Can you possibly get a picture of him flared? Or a recent shot with a clear depiction of the fin tips?

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mcasella said:
It almost looks like fin curling rather than fin rot. With rot, regrowth will be very light colored (then it gains color after the fin ray and webbing grows in). With curling the fin ray breaks and the fin heals crooked because it heals at the break in the ray instead of straightening out like a broken bone.

Can you possibly get a picture of him flared? Or a recent shot with a clear depiction of the fin tips?
Here’s him tonight. The dude never flares! He’s so chill. He’s still in a good mood- I swear he was excited to see me when I got home, he came right up and swam in little circles and begged for food. But his tail is darker and shorter.
109C0D88-388D-46BD-9C13-CF6379627931.jpeg

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
redmare said:
Here’s him tonight. The dude never flares! He’s so chill. He’s still in a good mood- I swear he was excited to see me when I got home, he came right up and swam in little circles and begged for food. But his tail is darker and shorter.
109C0D88-388D-46BD-9C13-CF6379627931.jpeg
He does have some fin curling (which can be caused by harder water, i've had a halfmoon male that had some fin curls that made the edge of his fins look darker). I am not sure what you are seeing is fin rot though, it normally show a lot more by this point. See if you can reduce the hardness in the water (driftwood and leaves will absorb minerals that cause what hardness, it takes time for that to work though).

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could treat with aquarium salt. That’s what I’m doing with mine. I put him in a 5 gallon tank temporarily (easier to change the water) and I dose 1 rounded tbs of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. Then 1 change 50% of the water each day and replace the salt that was lost (1/2 rounded tbs). I plan to do this for 1-2 weeks, until he is better.

After that, to prevent it, I will have more water agitation in his 10 gallons tank and will also change the substrate because It’s adding to the problem (flourite dark).

look here, around 6:00

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mcasella said:
He does have some fin curling (which can be caused by harder water, i've had a halfmoon male that had some fin curls that made the edge of his fins look darker). I am not sure what you are seeing is fin rot though, it normally show a lot more by this point. See if you can reduce the hardness in the water (driftwood and leaves will absorb minerals that cause what hardness, it takes time for that to work though).
I do have very hard water! Around 12 dGH. I'm moving in a month ish, to a place with much softer water. Maybe that will help him! Although he has to deal with the move first.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dechi said:
You could treat with aquarium salt. That’s what I’m doing with mine. I put him in a 5 gallon tank temporarily (easier to change the water) and I dose 1 rounded tbs of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. Then 1 change 50% of the water each day and replace the salt that was lost (1/2 rounded tbs). I plan to do this for 1-2 weeks, until he is better.

After that, to prevent it, I will have more water agitation in his 10 gallons tank and will also change the substrate because It’s adding to the problem (flourite dark).

look here, around 6:00
I've been debating setting up a hospital tank for him. I'm just not sure if going into an uncycled tank is worth it.... I do have a spare 5 gallon sitting in my garage I could use though.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
redmare said:
I do have very hard water! Around 12 dGH. I'm moving in a month ish, to a place with much softer water. Maybe that will help him! Although he has to deal with the move first.
Save as much of his tank water when you move so you can slowly introduce him to the new water with small water changes or drip acclimating the tank to avoid shocking him.

The only thing you could do right now is cutting your source water with spring or distilled water to bring the numbers down to where the new tank water will be. It would also have to be done slow with a higher dGH going on.

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
redmare said:
I've been debating setting up a hospital tank for him. I'm just not sure if going into an uncycled tank is worth it.... I do have a spare 5 gallon sitting in my garage I could use though.
My 5 gallons was already cycled but since you’re going to do a 50% water change everyday, your fish shouldn’t suffer from the tank not being cycled. Also, you can use seeded media from your 10 gallon to help.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom