Wanting Florida Flagfish For Algae Control, Advice?

EbiAqua

46 Gallon Planted Aquarium.

Having a bad BBA outbreak, caused mainly in part by being on vacation for 5 days and not being able to dose fertilizers or prune infected leaves. They are native to my state and I believe my tank is suitable for them, but I was just wondering if they would work and if anyone had any experience.

My main concern is that they will clash heads with my male dwarf gourami and my female GBR. I really need a way to help control the BBA in my aquarium. I am restarting my EI dosing next week once my Green Leaf Aquarium EI package arrives, and am removing infected leaves. The worst leaves are on my slow-growing crypts and the octopus plant situated directly in front of my spraybar. I have a UV sterilizer in one of my canisters but it isn't helping. SAEs get too big and need to be in schools.

Teishokue

Fix your tank not your stock.

EbiAqua

Fix your tank not your stock.
Yes, I understand that I can remedy the situation with diligent pruning and a proper balance of light/co2/nutrients, but I can't be there 24/7 doing constant maintenance and getting rid of BBA can take a very long time.

I'm not looking for a quick fix, but a constant source of maintenance that is compatible with my current stocking.

As previously stated I am beginning an EI dosing schedule again once my dry fertilizers arrive, and I am pruning off as much infected plant matter as I can. Remember that even TakashI Amano stocked all of his tanks with Amano shrimp and otocinclus, because algae control through balanced nutrients can be difficult even for a professional.

Culprit

I believe you can spot treat bba pretty easily. Correct me if I'm wrong but fill a syringe with excel and turn off all water movement. Squirt the bba with a little of excel. Leave it for like 30 minutes then turn everything back on. After a few treatments it will be dead. Can you up your Co2 levels? That should help.

I'm not sure if the male gourami and female gbr will clash. Those are all three territorial fish. I'm not sure if a 46 would be big enough. I think so but I don't really know. Especially if its heavily planted.

I htink in the wild its a micro predator with algae being a second food source if needed. If you did get one I would suggest getting a female. I guess shrimp are out of the question with GBR and a gourami? Imo I would get some of those cheap ghost shrimp (get them as small as possible) and see if they get eaten. If they don't you could get some caridinia japonica which eat bba and hair algea.

EbiAqua

Culprit I have caridina japonica in the tank, but it is my understanding that they will only eat BBA as a last resort, a "famine food", and that most other algae eaters find it unpalatable as well. With plenty of softer, greener, tastier algae in the tank that won't happen anytime soon. My choices are Florida flagfish, black molly or SAE. I have already pruned a great deal of the affected plants out and I received my Green Leaf EI dosing package yesterday, so I am EI dosing again. I know that simply adding stock won't take care of the problem, but it will help in conjunction with proactive measures.

Teishokue

No ghost shrimp. Spot treat bba with excel or hydrohenperoxide also if you can you may add Amano. I wouldn't add anything else. Frequent water changes is a must. Balance your nutrients. Reduce your stock and increase plants if you have

Similar Aquarium Threads

• EbiAqua
  • Algae
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
Littlefishyfish
Replies
Views
Platylover