Wanting Everything To Be Natural, Good Or Bad? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SmallFishGuy, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I’m a man that likes natural things in life, sand, wood, plans, rocks, *cough* women *cough* but when it comes to my home aquarium is it good or bad to want everything to be natural, sand looks natural, the wood is stuff I’ve sourced myself, the rocks are too and other than an ornament frog and turtle for my daughters excitement I don’t like ornaments but the way the castle looks in my tank I really don’t want to like it but I do, what do you guys think, natural, fake or a mix?

Attached Files:

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

It really depends on you.
    I started with an all-fake tank (except the fish) with a fantasy theme, then started adding live plants until it became an all-natural tank. I am really happy with how it looks.

3. Zentuckyfriedchicken

Zentuckyfriedchicken Well Known Member Member

Looks great, only thing that throws me off is the background. In my opinion that is the biggest eyesore. When I am at the pet store, I have to tell my siblings, “No, I don’t want a fake turtle or plants”. Also, you need to let the plants fill in and propagate them, and repeat until you are happy with the look.

4. ams083

ams083 Valued Member Member

I have 2 that are natural. No ornaments or fake plants. I also don’t like the backgrounds, so one tank I just have black, the other is frosted.

5. OP
    OP
    SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

I will be getting a black background soon, I haven’t found one that I like so when I get paid I will be getting a plain black one to make the colours look more intense

6. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Do what makes you happy. I consider my tank my little piece of life where I have the most control (having kids chaos happens), so I do it how I want. Good luck.

7. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

It's largely personal preference, rather than right or wrong - bearing in mind that most fish appreciate live plants and this creates the healthiest environment for them. Personally fake tank decor does absolutely nothing for me and I wouldn't have anything that wasn't natural in my tank, barring essential equipment. But that's the beauty of having your own tank - you get to create it according to your own preference.

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Some of it is a matter of taste. The substrate, background, rocks. Natural driftwood and live plants are far healthier for fish. Personally I like the natural look too.

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I have man made pieces in my tanks, because i am not gluing rocks together to make caves for plecos when i have perfectly fine caves for them that i don't have to stick together. I do not have any fake plants inside my tanks, I do have gravel in half of them.

10. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I like natural but I like a mix too. My tank is a mix but if I every do another tank I would probably do natural

11. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Always liked the natural overgrown looks.

Do whatever your ocd says.

12. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I make all my own caves, but I don't glue them together.

13. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I have pleco and cichlid caves in some of my tanks, I haven't had the chance to fire any of the terracotta I have.

14. Y

YesI'mCycled New Member Member

I wanted all natural but have a few decorations as a compromise for my family. As many have said above it comes down to what works for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice