Wanted to thank you

1. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I am in my fifth day free of cigarettes. I am under Nicotine Replacement Therapy (e.g. Nicotine patches), support group (on-line), a psychologist (who happens to be my trainee but works in a tobacco clinic), and a psychiatrist (who happens to be my associate).

I want to thank Fishlorians because I got mad at my nicotine addiction as I went snorkeling and training for my Open Water Dive (paused at the moment). The main reason I got interested in exploring marine biology is my SW keeping (at which I am a total newby).

This is my third attempt to quit. First one I got two years out but made the terrible mistake of allowing myself into smoking cigars. Second time I guess I was not ready since I barely made a few weeks before relapsing.

This time, I don't feel deprived. I am truly happy and motivated, as I am receiving enormous support from my whole family (wife, daughter, nannies, mom and siblings, in-laws).

It's amazing what Fishlore allows me to pursue. I've been sober (and I mean 100% sober) for almost 10 years. I don't miss booze et al at all. Somehow I suspect the same is going to happen with not smoking.

I am not a fanatic of not drinking or whatever. Those that can do so responsibly I just tip my hat to you. I'm one of those that in all honesty, cannot have just one and let it be there. Life is great.

Besides my fishies health should get better with this.

Just sharing with you.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. chrlesdikkenson Initiate Member

Thanks for sharing with us. Nice discussion.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah!!!! Keep it up Pepetj! I smoke but I don't smoke in my home. When I decided to quit smoking in my home, it cut my smoking in half. Although I haven't quit completely I have cut down! :) That's a step in the right direction for me. I know my fish are more healthy too! (I quit smoking in my home about 7 years ago.)
    Ken

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations, Pepe! I quit smoking when I was pregnant with my daughter, but went back to it. Big mistake. I'm hoping to get myself to the point this year to quit, but I'm not quite ready yet.

You should also be commended for quitting drinking. I quit drinking about a year ago because it was becoming a nightly ritual for me and affecting my parenting.

I'm so happy you have support through this. We're 100% behind ya.:;hug2

5. Omgami Member Member

Congratulations Pepe. As a former smoker I know it can be hard to quit. One thing that motivated me was just knowing that I would no longer be supporting the tobacco industry. Why would I want to give my hard earned money to an industry that knews their killing me? I'd rather buy fish! So far my MTS does not seem lethal.

6. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Good job! That is excellent! I smoke and I HATE it! Like Ken I smoke outside but when it is 118 outside it is not a pleasant place to be...Maybe I'll quit in 2010..

Once again GOOD JOB!

7. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hat's off to you!!! Congratulations.
    I also smoke but not in the house. Tried Hypnotism once, quit another time for 6 months....just wanted one on particularly stressful day and bang...I lost.
    Way to go...you are inspiring me to take another look at stopping.

8. David C Well Known Member Member

Congratulations! It's awesome when someone is able to quit smoking, I know it takes a lot of commitment.

Dave

9. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

congratulations! i know it can't have been easy :)