wanted to start a salt water aquarium

1. Argal Initiate Member

hi guys my name is jeff I live in the Philippines and I already have a 75gal aquarium I used it for fresh water fishes and now I want to start to take care for salt water fishes so my question is
    1. can I use my canister that I used for fresh water (Eheim)
    2. do I need a sub tank?
    3. can I use my black sand as filtration
    4. any other things I need to know before taking care of salt water fishes

ps.
    we tried to take care for salt water last year but it only lasted for a week before all the fishes died and the water became not clear I hope that you guys could help me out since petstores here only will give advise in order for them to gain more money. thank you and more power to fishlore:;hi1

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Argal, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

As you have experienced, keeping salt water can be a difficult task, if you don't take the time to research what you're getting into.

The first step to successful fish-keeping, be it fresh or salt water, is to understand the nitrogen cycle. I strongly encourage you to read about the nitrogen cycle (words should be underlined, otherwise there's a link in my signature).

The next step is to understand what you are trying to achieve. In keeping salt water, the best thing you can do is research every aspect of the system. The beginner guides at fishlore should be your first stop: https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

It all looks daunting, and there's a lot to learn about keeping salt water/marine setups. I spent 9 months researching and understanding the marine environment, and all that goes with it. After 9 months of research, I'm not an expert by any means, but I had enough knowledge to feel comfortable in starting my reef system.

Please take the time to read the beginner's guides as they will answer most of your questions.

To address your 4 questions:
    1. Technically, yes you can use a canister (but not the media from a FW system), although it is not recommended as they can harbour nitrates

2. I think you mean sump :;sh If you mean a sump, then no, you don't have to have one, but they make a great place to put heaters, skimmers, reactors, a place to dose supplements, and do water top-offs. Not to mention they add volume to your system, and more volume equals greater stability.

3. You can probably use the sand, but it probably won't offer filtration - for filtration you need to look at Live Rock and Protein Skimmers

4. From the basic info you've given, you should spend some quality time researching the marine system/aquaria. Read the beginners guides, then research the different areas.

3. Argal Initiate Member

:;thx i will try to research a little bit more, about the sump I was thinking of putting a glass at the back end of the aqurium to segment it so that it will serve as a sub tank

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

you have some great advice above, on all your questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here on these tanks.

I would not take the time to put a type of divider into the tank to try and make the filter in the tank. Its not worth the hassle and headache. Putting a sump below is much easier in the long run, esspecially for maintenance.