Wanted to say hi!

1. B

BritJo Valued Member Member

Hello everyone! My name is Brit, I'm 23 and just recently graduated from Miami University in Oxford OH, I'm currently substitute teaching and looking for a full time teaching job :) My fiance is actually in transit currently home to Fort BRagg from his 5th deployment...he's the one that got me into fish! I've been keeping fish in just the typical college betta fish tank no filter, water changes every other day or so until my birthday (July) when I recieved a 3 gallon tank. I then received a 10 gallon tank for Valentines day which until two days ago was housing 8 fish. I had a massive ammonia spike and lost 6 of the 8 fish. It was very tragic! The tank was cycled but my silly room mate overfed the guys while I was gone and well you know what happens when that happens. She was quite distraught, but I mean she meant well so I couldn't be too angry. Just depressed! I'm off to post more about this problem and ask for your knowledgeable advice as to what to do next!

2. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore and sorry to hear about the lose.:;hug2

3. jglove276

jglove276 Valued Member Member

Hello :;hi2 and :sign0016: to Fishlore

What are your water test readings? If you are seeing high ammonia readings and your tank has been cycled I would of course first remove excess food and start daily water changes with Prime until your ammonia levels drop to 0.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you, I was very upset!

Everyone keeps talking about this Prime, is it better than AquaSafe? I've always used Aquasafe, even when I was just doing the 1 gallon betta tank thing so if there is something better I'm cool w/ switching (of course money is tight right now so if it's horribly expensive it might have to wait). The water is currently reading at

Ammonia .25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 10ppm
    pH 7.8

I use fake plants to, that might be helpful too.

5. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Welcome To Fishlore!!!!!!

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

7. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

:;hi2welcome to the forum

8. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

Hello!!

9. OP
    OP
    B

Wow! Crazy friendly around here!

10. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

WELCOME TO FISHLORE, Brit! :;wv

Welcome to the most friendly fish forum site I've ever been to :) Hope you enjoy your stay here.