Wanted: Expert Stocking

1. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Hey guys! So great news..
    Im cutting my stocking in my 55g in half. Finally!
    My best friend has a 55g in storage he is getting out and im going to give him some BB and some of my fish. So we will essentially have identical tanks lol
    Each tank will be stocked with::

1x Rainbow Shark
    1x Blue Ram Cichlid
    2x Angelfish

Pretty bare.. so I would love to have some ideas on great tankmates that will be happy with these and add some cool variety.
    I have small gravel, and he will probably have the same, havent discussed it yet.
    But mine is in the process of being heavily planted, and he wants his heavily planted as well.

What would you add?
    Thanks

2. Charles556 Member Member

Is the rainbow shark already a done deal? Because that might make my stocking opinion invalid. From what I've read online on multiple sites, they tend to be semi-aggressive. Here's one: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-frenatum/

If not and you decide to rehome the shark, or if you think that your shark is docile enough to be kept with smaller fish, then here's my humble stocking opinion:

Bottom: 10+ Corydoras sterbai (highly recommend sand - half gravel/half sand is option, if you don't want to remove all the gravel)

Bottom Third: 20+/- Rummy Nose Tetras

Middle Third:
    50+/- Cardinal Tetras

Top Third: 10 +/- Silver/Common/Blackwing Hatchetfish (your choice - I chose based on temperature compatability. Link: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-perfect-surface-dweller-hatchetfish-full-article.htm)

Of course, I can't finish this recommendation without stating the obvious. You only plan on keeping 1 Blue Ram? Why? They show much more color if they have a mate of the opposite sex. I've found that even GBRs guarding their nest aren't that vicious towards other fish. As the saying goes, 2 is better than one.

Hope this helps

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say get another ram and rehome the shark. You have room for a bottom dwelling school such as aeneus or sterbai cories. Make sure whatever you choose is warm temp compatible as angels and these rams like 80 degree water. Another option would be kuhli loaches. You could do 12-14 of whatever bottom dweller you like.

Pick a couple of schooling fish. Warm water of course so something like lemon, diamond, rummynose, black phantom, or kitty tetra would be great. Cherry barbs are also very nice. Harlequin rasboras are very unique looking and school rather well. I'd say stick to two species and do 10 to 12 of each.

I wouldn't add much to the top as your angels will be your focal point up there but you could do a few male platy for a splash of color. Hatchetfish are also an option.

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

As long as ive been on this forum, no one has mentioned the ram and shark being incompatible..
    Theyve been fine together for the past 9 months. Any chance itll change after the tank is split?

Im fairly certain I have two of the same gender, which is why I insist on separating them.

Thank you for all the ideas :)

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Rehome the rainbow shark immediately! They get aggressive as they get older(I learned this the hard way). Mine was 3 inches and he started killing my shrimp, guppies, and cories. 2 angel fish for a 55gal is a good stocking, but I won't add another cichlid to the tank because once your angels start to breed they are going to get even more aggressive. I won't put any bottom dwellers in your tank. Your tank sounds like a semi-aggressive tank.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're temp incompatible, which means that the shark will live a shorter life if he's kept in the higher temp the ram needs. So behaviorally they may seem "fine" together, but they're not.

You can keep the rainbow shark if you get rid of the GBR.

With your angels, you can keep other cichlids or bottom dwelling fish.

What about something like this?

8-10x Sterbai cory
    2x Angelfish
    2x GBR
    10x Rummynose tetra
    8x Congo tetra

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Keeping a rainbow shark with bottom dwellers is asking for a big problem. But I agree with what TexasDomer is saying.
    Edit: rainbow sharks mark out territory and when your finger or any fish goes near it will attack.

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member