want to upgrade bulbs, would like suggestions

1. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I got an unexpected work bonus, so it may finally be time to upgrade the lighting on my tanks.

I have a 75 gallon and a 46 gallon bowfront that I would like to turn into planted tanks. My 16 gallon RCS tank seems to do fine with its existing lighting and the low light plants I have in it.

I have no idea where to start or what I should be looking for. I don't want lighting so bright that it frightens the fish or burns my eyeballs out, but would definitely like the wattage/bulb I need to grow some medium-high level plants.

Please give all the suggestions you can think of. I am seriously starting out here without a clue. :;tea

Thanks all!

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have a Aquatic Life T5HO 48inch fixture on my 75gal, that would put you in the light range you are looking for( maybe a bit higher) , it has 2 52 watt bulbs, one is 6,000k the other is a roseate( plant bulb)

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Do you just remove the canopy entirely and place the bulb over the water?

Excuse me for being so tense on the subject matter..... :;jaws

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I just got an LED fixture for my 55 and am really impressed. As lights burn out, I might switch to LED....

Very soon, Marineland is coming out with an LED fixture for plants....

6. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm looking at the following, any thoughts?

1 each Coralife T8 10,000K 32 watt and Coralife T8 Nutrigrow 32 watt

7. gourami88 Member Member

When I upgraded my 29 gallon lighting I got rid of the tank hood that came with it and replaced it with a simple hinged all-glass top (relatively inexpensive) and got a Coralife fixture that sits over it. I actually prefer this look to the hoods that come with the kits, and the lighting improvements are awesome!

8. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Is this for the 75gal? 64 watts of T8 lighting woulld be well in the low lighting range.

My T5HO sits over a glass canopy. It is the same fixture in Alyeskagirls link.

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Do you mean it would DO well in the range, or it's towards the top of the low range, if that makes any sense at all. :;laughing

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Sorry what I meant was you would be below the top range of low lighting.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You could get one of those 300w halogen work lights and point it in the direction of your tank ;D

12. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

75g - 2 T8s 35w ea. would put you in the low light category.

2 T5NO would put you in the low light category.

2 T5HO will put you in the highlight category if the fixture is sitting on its 3" legs for the height of your tank. It's not a good idea to have the fixture just sitting on the glass canopy as they put out some heat.

My Fixture is suspended about 10" above my tank with an open top. This puts around medium/high or so. I dose dry fertlizers and Excel as my carbon source.

If you want to bump up your lighting to medium or highlight you start getting into fertlizers and co2 being part of the upgrade also.

Good luck!

13. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

if you want some serious growth get a coarlife hang on back HQI double ended metal halide :) that would be in the high light range tho.

but i also like my T5HO 6500k a lot tho. If you are under a budget i would go to a indoor garden place they have some good lights for a pretty decent price. The only down side is mounting it on the tank can be a pain

14. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Mine is on the little three or 4inch legs that came with the fixture, over glass tops.I use liquid carbon and ferts. I really do recomend this fixture it is awesome. And for the price comepared to some of the T5NO fixtures , it wasnot much more.( I have a T8 on another tank, I hate it)

15. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, checked out my fixtures today. The 46 gallon takes 1 bulb, 20 watt, the 75 gallon takes 1 bulb, 40 watt.

I really didn't want the expense of entire new fixtures..... how about a 10,000K? Good? Bad? Not worth it for 1 bulb?

16. Erica0107 Member Member

Changing your bulbs won't really do anything to allow you to keep medium/high light plants. A single T8 bulb, regardless of the type, is barely even enough for low light plants on those tank sizes.

17. gourami88 Member Member

This. If you are wanting to keep plants, you are going to have to upgrade the fixtures.