Want To Start Up A Flowerhorn Tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Carlthefishnotthelama, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Carlthefishnotthelama

CarlthefishnotthelamaValued MemberMember

i have had many different people say different things so can i get your opinion on a good setup for a single flowerhorn.

2. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Your profile says you just started fishkeeping. A flowerhorn isn't really a starter fish. Have you done research to adequately care for a fish so large and demanding?

3. OP
    OP
    Carlthefishnotthelama

yes, and with enough information there is no such thing as beginner or non beginner. i have read that they are just like a tiger oscar.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Tank size should be at least 75 gallons.
    Filtration should be either a few HOB filters or a canister filter.
    Lighting is kind of optional if the tank is placed in a place with light, but its best to have a light if you want to be able to get a good look at your fish.
    Tank mates, well, it really depends on the individual, but most of the time the flowerhorn will kill other fish in a tank less than 100 gallons.
    Decorations really depends, as long as there are no sharp edges or can be moved or swallowed by the flowerhorn.
    Plants also depends, but be prepared to have any plants destroyed by the flowerhorn.
    With a single adult flowerhorn, you should be doing 30%-40% water changes weekly, but smaller weekly water changes can be done when the flowerhorn isn't full grown yet.

5. OP
    OP
    Carlthefishnotthelama

Thank you! thats all i was needing