Want To Start Breeding Panda Guppies... Issue Is, I Don't Have A Female...

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Bleu, Jun 20, 2019.

1. BleuValued MemberMember

So awhile ago I wanted to start guppies but said sometime in the future until my LFS got some Panda's in stock. Jumped on the opportunity and took home two males. The shop owner didn't have any females from the Panda shipment.

So, I'm wondering, if I were to get any random female guppy as an example, breed the female with one of my panda's would it affect the babies, or will the babies still be high-quality panda's?

Anyone know? If not, what female should I look out for?

2. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Defintely not a random female.
    You'll want to find a breeder likely, find someone who has quality colorful females, the females affect the fry quite a bit, so you want a nice one.
    You might be able to try aquabid, on the bstf forum here, or ebay.
    I got very high quality females full of color (mosaic) from ebay.
    Males are amazing as well, so much brighter than any random breed.

Even though the asst. Guppies sometimes have good rares, they're still not best or breeding quality which is why theyre mixed in the asst anyway.
    You dont see females because theres either not enough females coming out, or the breeder is using them, or theyre not breeder quality females.
    A home breeder only sends out the males they arent using, and often dont let out any females except for ones they dont need anymore or if they have overproduction.

Search for a panda with similar colors.
    My lfs has some fantastic pastel pandas, might want to look into those if yours isnt that

3. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

If you would cross a panda male to a random guppy female (no matter high quality or not), the outcome won't come close to the panda phenotype in the F1. Some panda phenotypes could be coming out after a couple of generations. But that number will be a total minority in comparison to the rest of the batch.
    Best chance is to use a female with a pink gene in her.
    collagepandaguppy.jpg

4. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Long shot but I'd try to find some guppy groups and see if you can find a breeder that breeds pandas. I definitely wouldn't just do a random. I guess it really depends on your goals. If you're just doing it for fun and not looking for perfect pandas you could always find a nicer female of any coloring but just don't expect full panda babies. They may end up nice body type and such but they likely won't be worth much just because they're a mix of strains, if you're just doing it for fun and not super serious then that's perfectly fine.

If you're really looking into serious breeding I'd seek out a well bred panda female. It may take you a bit to find the perfect one so keep that in mind!

5. BleuValued MemberMember

It sucks because where I’m located there is no local breeders or anything that sell Panda guppies, there is one store owner who will import fancy strains (dumbos and all, especially) Pandas every once in awhile. So it’s extremely hard to get my hands on them.

I’m going to try and import a Panda female through Aquabid at one point if there is ever a listing.

I want to breed them high end and make sure they’re looking like the current ones I have. I do want to be able to sell them in the future considering quality guppies with this kind of strain is nonexistent here basically and I don’t know what I’m going to do with x amount of babies overtime.

6. treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Where are you located?

These two have a buy it now price of $17.

Here are a trio of what look to be males. IDK how much the reserve is though.

7. BleuValued MemberMember

Canada I wish I could buy from that seller

8. treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Yes, Canada is REALLY strict with what it allows in fish wise. OMG, its unreal...but understandable.

Has Pandas and is in Canada

There is a guppy group on facebook. Maybe you can hit them up and see if someone has access to Canadian Pandas?

A member named Iris Trap posted a video of some she got her hands on on June 10th.This is where she got them.  

This place just has some stunning guppies. I also dont know if they can ship overseas but just look at those fish!!!!

9. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

You should look for females like this one to have the proper outcome of offspring.
    panda mix 126b.jpg