Want To Start Breeding Apisto Borelli's

1. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

I just got a shipment of 1 male and 3 female Borelli's. It's kind of early yet, they are still juveniles- and I don't have them in an ideal tank yet (20 gallon high with a small community, Thicklip Gourami, 2 Elegant Cory's, 1 flash pleco).

I will have a 10 gallon this weekend I plan on setting up with 2 sponge filters, some cave structures, sand, and a bunch of floating plants (water lettuce). I'm going to try and quick cycle the tank using Dr. Tim's ammonia and some Seachem Stability - but won't be ready for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Eventually I will upgrade the 20 to a 40 - but that's about 6 months off.

How do I know when these guys pair off? What behavior do I look for?

What is the best temperature to keep the 10 gallon at?

I control the PH - I make my own RODI water and use Equllibrium, acid, alkaline buffers with flourish line of products. So where should I set this at? Right now my 20 high has high ph because I cycled with tap water (8.4) and have slowly started bringing it down (at 7.8 now). I was thinking of going to 7.2.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I've always wanted to try my hand at breeding apisto's. I plan on getting another shipment of 1 male, 3 more females from another source when I go to the 40 gallon.

2. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I have 1m/1f in a community tank, but I'm setting up space etc to breed fish in the basement, which could include my A borelli. So I'm very interested in seeing what info you get.
    Following.
    :)

3. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Watching with interest.... I also have juvenile borellii growing out in a tank, so I'm interested in reading what advice comes in.

4. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

@yukondog @LeviS

Tagging a few other apisto fans. I got my young apistos from Yukondog. :)

5. LeviS

LeviS Valued Member Member

As far as behavior you will know. I have cacatoides. The male will flare up at the female and shake? Is best term lol. The female also will flare and pay more attention to the male. I have mine in a 37 gallon community tank and as I type this I may have eggs in my coconut hut or they are just getting close. The female has stopped running from the male and I see her come out of the cave regularly. As far as parameters for mine my tap water has a high ph 8.2-8.4 from tap but oddly a lower hardness. Majority of all Apistogramma females look alike and will turn a yellow when they get to breeding color.

6. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Do you know what age they sexually mature? I think mine are around 2 months old.

7. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

I forgot to tag you - just got so tied up - I wanted to post this the other night.

8. LeviS

Can you post a picture? I’m not sure how old they were when I got them but they were juvenile. After quick search I’m seeing estimation of 7 months on Borelli.
    Mine are now probably 1-3/4” long for female and 2” for male.

9. LeviS

@yukondog, you make it through the storm ok? I saw your from NW Florida.

10. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Here is the male. Females aren't out as much so harder to get a pic of.

IMG_20181011_064633.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Here's the best I could do on short notice with one of the females. IMG_20181012_175915.jpg

12. LeviS

Once they get size and color I would figure that it’s only a matter of time and when conditions are right they will breed. Feed them a varied diet and you should be good.

13. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

They look old enough, my female will start to turn a little yellow just before breeding and after she lays she will turn more yellow and will not leave the cave, after about a week she will bring her fry out and will drive the male away and I'll remove him, mine loved to eat fry. About a week or so before breeding them I feed live or frozen food and do a w/c.
    At two mo. old my Borellii's are only about 3/8", the ones I have are about 1/2" and they were born in April.