Want To Start Breeding Apisto Borelli's

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by sheehanje, Oct 12, 2018.

1. sheehanje

sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I just got a shipment of 1 male and 3 female Borelli's. It's kind of early yet, they are still juveniles- and I don't have them in an ideal tank yet (20 gallon high with a small community, Thicklip Gourami, 2 Elegant Cory's, 1 flash pleco).

I will have a 10 gallon this weekend I plan on setting up with 2 sponge filters, some cave structures, sand, and a bunch of floating plants (water lettuce). I'm going to try and quick cycle the tank using Dr. Tim's ammonia and some Seachem Stability - but won't be ready for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Eventually I will upgrade the 20 to a 40 - but that's about 6 months off.

How do I know when these guys pair off? What behavior do I look for?

What is the best temperature to keep the 10 gallon at?

I control the PH - I make my own RODI water and use Equllibrium, acid, alkaline buffers with flourish line of products. So where should I set this at? Right now my 20 high has high ph because I cycled with tap water (8.4) and have slowly started bringing it down (at 7.8 now). I was thinking of going to 7.2.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I've always wanted to try my hand at breeding apisto's. I plan on getting another shipment of 1 male, 3 more females from another source when I go to the 40 gallon.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

I have 1m/1f in a community tank, but I'm setting up space etc to breed fish in the basement, which could include my A borelli. So I'm very interested in seeing what info you get.
    Following.
    :)

3. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Watching with interest.... I also have juvenile borellii growing out in a tank, so I'm interested in reading what advice comes in.

4. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

@yukondog @LeviS

Tagging a few other apisto fans. I got my young apistos from Yukondog. :)

5. LeviS

LeviSValued MemberMember

As far as behavior you will know. I have cacatoides. The male will flare up at the female and shake? Is best term lol. The female also will flare and pay more attention to the male. I have mine in a 37 gallon community tank and as I type this I may have eggs in my coconut hut or they are just getting close. The female has stopped running from the male and I see her come out of the cave regularly. As far as parameters for mine my tap water has a high ph 8.2-8.4 from tap but oddly a lower hardness. Majority of all Apistogramma females look alike and will turn a yellow when they get to breeding color.

6. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Do you know what age they sexually mature? I think mine are around 2 months old.

7. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

I forgot to tag you - just got so tied up - I wanted to post this the other night.

8. LeviS

LeviSValued MemberMember

Can you post a picture? I’m not sure how old they were when I got them but they were juvenile. After quick search I’m seeing estimation of 7 months on Borelli.
    Mine are now probably 1-3/4” long for female and 2” for male.

9. LeviS

LeviSValued MemberMember

@yukondog, you make it through the storm ok? I saw your from NW Florida.

10. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Here is the male. Females aren't out as much so harder to get a pic of.

IMG_20181011_064633.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

Here's the best I could do on short notice with one of the females. IMG_20181012_175915.jpg

12. LeviS

LeviSValued MemberMember

Once they get size and color I would figure that it’s only a matter of time and when conditions are right they will breed. Feed them a varied diet and you should be good.

13. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

They look old enough, my female will start to turn a little yellow just before breeding and after she lays she will turn more yellow and will not leave the cave, after about a week she will bring her fry out and will drive the male away and I'll remove him, mine loved to eat fry. About a week or so before breeding them I feed live or frozen food and do a w/c.
    At two mo. old my Borellii's are only about 3/8", the ones I have are about 1/2" and they were born in April.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice