Want To Start A Small Planted Tank

pomfish

Hey its me again!

I decided to start cycling my 2.5 gallon tank. I already have 5 and 10 gallon betta tanks so I understand the basic things in setting up tanks. However, these tanks are lightly planted with gravel/sand substrates and I would like to do a fully planted tank.

So, I've tried researching it but I still don't feel too confident about what I'm going to do and what's going to go on. I read in some places that I'm going to have to wait for months for everything to settle in?

I'm just going to say what i'm thinking of doing so please tell me if its incorrect or anything should change:
1) I think the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Statum would be good as a substrate so I'm thinking of buying that.
2) Ive read the terms high and low tech in some places so I think I understand that I need to go low tech. I'm thinking of getting Banana plants, anubias, java ferns and I'm really interested in using dwarf hairgrass.
3) I have Flourish by Seachem for fertilizer so I plan on using that.
4) For lighting would a desk lamp suffice?

Lastly, in case anyone is wondering this will be a shrimp tank :3

Thank you in advance!!

-Mak-

Fluval stratum is great for plants and shrimp. Flourish isn't a very concentrated fert, but since you're going low tech and you have fluval stratum (quite nutrient rich) it should be fine. Low tech means you won't have injected CO2, which is going to make growing DHG harder. With a good light and Fluval stratum, it should still do decently, especially if you dose a carbon substitute such as seachem excel. I believe Eleocharis parvula is the shorter and easier of the two DHG species

BReefer97

I had dwarf hair grass in a 3 gallon tank and it didn't work out very well at all. It can't really be buried in substrate so it gets knocked around a lot, it needs lots of distrubuted light or it will grow straight up as opposed to carpeting the tank, it doesn't get nutrients from substrate so you'd probably need a different fertilizer (I don't recommend flourish Excel; just my personal opinion). Java moss might work better in a smaller tank. You could use it to create a carpet over your substrate. I definitely would get java fern because it grows really really well. My anubias doesn't grow very fast, but it's a good plant. I like anubias nana. It's cute and you can attach it to anything (same with java fern, I have mine on some corals and setting on my substrate). Check out pothos plants too! They're not aquatic plants, but you can cut them near the bottom and place the stems in the tank and they'll grow roots and drape out of the tank. Also really good for absorbing ammonia in the tank! I have mine tied to one of my intakes so my betta doesn't get sucked up to it. I'd love to see what you create! I'm planning on planting mine more heavily once the weather gets warm and I'm able to order online.

My pothos were young when I decided to cut them and add them to my tank, so they're not looking the greatest right now. But you can see how much my betta loves his java fern hahah cracks me up.

pomfish

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'll go with the java fern and moss then! As you can see I'm not the best with plants so I need something hardy And btw I lovee your tank! That is such a gorgeous betta with his cute java fern XD Off topic but what sand substate is that?

BReefer97

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'll go with the java fern and moss then! As you can see I'm not the best with plants so I need something hardy And btw I lovee your tank! That is such a gorgeous betta with his cute java fern XD Off topic but what sand substate is that?

Neither am I! And I think it's just plain white sand by Estes. I tried looking it up at the fish store I got it from, but their website is archaic. I'm actually not a huge fan of it. It's extremely fine and my gravel vacuum just sucks it all out of my tank.

pomfish

Oh I see, well it looks pretty! do you put any soil under your sand? and what fert do you use? I just got flourish since it was the same company from Prime haha

-Mak-

it doesn't get nutrients from substrate so you'd probably need a different fertilizer

It does get nutrients from the substrate, which is why DHG grows better in soil

I feel like just java fern and moss would be a waste of fluval stratum, since neither are planted in substrate! Or are you planning to go with sand now?

pomfish

I was wondering about the sand for my other tanks but I would like to heavily plant the 2.5! Just don't know which plants would thrive in a small tank

-Mak-

I was wondering about the sand for my other tanks but I would like to heavily plant the 2.5! Just don't know which plants would thrive in a small tank
What kind of desk lamp bulb will you be using? Almost anything can still do well in a small tank as long as requirements are met

pomfish

I think I'm going to go with this lamp for the tank, it says "Output: 15V 550mA"
Well for plants so far I was thinking java ferns, java moss for carpeting, two banana plants and some anubias.

Btw, if I get substrates like the Fluval Statum, would I have to replace it someday? (my thinking is the nurtients will run out eventually). And also, would I vacuum it like sand and gravel?

-Mak-

I think I'm going to go with this lamp for the tank, it says "Output: 15V 550mA"
Well for plants so far I was thinking java ferns, java moss for carpeting, two banana plants and some anubias.

Btw, if I get substrates like the Fluval Statum, would I have to replace it someday? (my thinking is the nurtients will run out eventually). And also, would I vacuum it like sand and gravel?
Yeah, but if you go with those plants it would probably be a few years. That light would probably do for those plants, but it's not a plant light.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kelvin12
Replies
Views
CanadianJoeh
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question